Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Hampshire suggestions

pennstaterv
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All -

We are looking to plan an RV trip with the family to New Hampshire sometime in 2018 and are looking for suggestions. Mount Washington is on our list but really donโ€™t know anything else about NH, we just pick a new state every year and this is it.

We much prefer State & national parks, and are open to any time of year.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up in North Conway in the 1950's - my folks owned a small country inn there. We occasionally go back to visit, most recently in the fall of 2014.
We usually stay at Saco River Camping Area just south of town.
Kids will love Storyland. My Dad helped build Storyland in the 50's, doing a lot of construction and painting.
As we use to call it "the other side of the mountains", Franconia Notch has a lot to offer...except for the famous Old Man of the Mountains which collapsed a few years ago. In Franconia we have stayed at Fransted Family CG.
By all means make a visit to the summit of Mt Washington. Truly clear days are somewhat rare - my father used to advise guests at the inn that if they awoke to one of those rare days, drop whatever other plans you might have had and head for the summit. The Cog Railway is an outstanding trip up and down the mountain. Check the schedule and try to take a steam-powered train - a lot more interesting and historical.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's worth being aware of, and trying to avoid, the Laconia Motorcycle Week (June 9-17 next year) because that can bring a lot of extra traffic in the region. Of course, if you are interested in attending a large motorcycle rally, maybe it would be worth aiming for....

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
So far all the replies have been for the White Mountain area. Other options could include the Dartmouth - Sunapee region, Monadnock region, Merrimac Valley, Lakes region, and the Great North Woods. Lots to do, and most places aren't mobbed. Start here
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on Storyland and Clark's on the other side of the mountain for the kids, we used to take our up there when they were tots and they loved it.
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
stayed here last summer, it is just north of north Conway, on the river and has a pool. nice area on the river to tube and swim in! All attractions are within an hour of it.
https://www.glenelliscampground.com/
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
The campgrounds along the "Kanc" (Kancamagus Highway/Rte 112) are National forest (dry) CG's. Several take reservations - they are VERY popular and tend to fill during the summer. If you want playground and pool, Woodstock KOA is nice. The loop roads of Rte 112 (Kanc) to Rte 16, north to N. Conway/ Glen (Storyland)/ Pinkham Notch (Mt. Washington)/ Gorham, then Rte 2 west to Jefferson (Santa's Village), Rte 116 west/south to Whitefield, Rte 3 south thru Franconia Notch (Cannon Mtn tramway/ the Flume and Basin), back to Lincoln/Woodstock area is where you likely want to look for mou ntain views, attractions, etc. That is TOO MUCH to try and cover in a single day, but multiple CG's along that route. If you are thinking about June, think bugs... We use Mother's Day to Father's Day as "Black Fly Season". Unfortunately, black flies can't read, so they don't know they are supposed to go away on Father's Day... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
pennstaterv wrote:
More great info...thanks, love all of the options.

To answer some questions โ€”

We will probably look to make this a 5-7 day trip, so making two stops is definitely a possibility.

Our kids are pretty young - they just turned 4 and 2, and we will have a newborn in March, so probably looking to make this trip in the summer โ€” likely June.

Thanks again!
Story land in North Conway would be nice for young kids. Your wife would probably like the outlet stores there(no tax). So with the young ones I don't think you will be hiking Mt Washington, but there are a number of short hikes that are nice for young kids. Sabaday falls on rt 112 is nice, Glenn Ellen falls on rt 16 is also nice to name a few. Watch for moose between Passaconway and Jigger Johnson CG just before dusk. Enjoy your vacation.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We will probably look to make this a 5-7 day trip, so making two stops is definitely a possibility.

What part of PA are you in? Three kids with at least a day of travel on either end puts this into the 7 day category if you want any level of comfort. A 5 day trip only gives you 3 days-moving after just a day will take away much of the relaxation part. For this trip I'd concentrate on an area that you can use as a hub and do trips from there.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

pennstaterv
Explorer
Explorer
More great info...thanks, love all of the options.

To answer some questions โ€”

Our kids are pretty young - they just turned 4 and 2, and we will have a newborn in March, so probably looking to make this trip in the summer โ€” likely June.

Thanks again!

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
While we stayed in a private campground in Conway, we did both the Mt Washington drive and cog train. Different views for sure.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you want to hike Mt Washington I would stay at Dolly Copp CG(NFS CG) it is close to the MTN and visitor center for day hiking Mt Washington. For swimming or rafting there is the Saco river along rt 302 and Swift river along rt 112. Both have NFS cg's. What size is your MH? Mt Chocora is also a nice hike and less strenuous than Mt Washington. Blackberry crossing CG is close to that. If you like Mtn biking there are some nice trails off of Bear notch road through the Experimental Forrest. Jigger Johnson or Passaconway are nice CG's for that along rt 112. How long do you plan to stay in that area? How old are the kids? There are a number of kid attractions in that area also if your kids are young.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
If you have kids they will love Moosehillock! also check into Danforth Bay, Woodstock KOA and Fransted Family Campground, The last two campgrounds are more centrally located to everything. Best to read the reviews http://www.rvparkreviews.com

Couple of things that I see that did not see get mentioned that are fun day trips.

Cog Railway up MT Washington! $$$ though
Cannon MT Tram in Franconia!, get to walk easy rim trail on top of MT with spectacular views!
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We like Danforth Bay campground but it's far from remote and a little further away from the sights. The up side is the number of kid's activities and the nice beach it has. Clark's Trading Post and the Hobo Railroad are perfect for your kids' ages. North Conway is a great town of puttering, restaurants and some nice shopping. There are other kid's attractions as well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
Hey,

New Hampshirite here, lol.

Let me give you a a couple places to look at. You definataly want to stay in the Lakes Region. Our favorite place to stay in the state is Danforth Bay. It's on Lake Ossippee, in Freedom. Great campground with tons to do. Located about 30 to 45 minutes from North Conway too. So not too far to get up there and do the things they have to offer. Here's the link: https://www.danforthbay.com/

If you not looking for bells and whistles in the campground, here's one that we go to often. It's called Goose Hollow. Quiet, friendly staff. It's about 3 miles off 93, at the base of Waterville Valley. Very senic location, quiter place, small pool, on the river that runs down from Waterville. It puts you right at the southern part of the Mountain region. 25 minutes to Plymouth (good food/shopping places, Walmart, Groceries, etc) and 30 minutes to exit 32 (the Kancamangus Highway which runs over to Conway, the most senic drive in the state). Here's the websit for them: http://www.nhcampgrounds.com/sitemap/

I can give you more places if these don't work. Not sure how long you are staying, but it would cool to spit your time between them. Two different camping experiences.....