cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dispersed Camping Near Crested Butte, Colorado

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the decision to discontinue dispersed camping in the Crested Butte, Colorado area. Or did I miss it? I don’t know how to post a link.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"
7 REPLIES 7

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We are slowly losing land use in the same fashion as did in Cali. Was in Cali in the 60s when you could still drive a dune buggy on the street as well as the dirt. Then came the green stick on my bike and moved into OHV areas. Just look West to see the future.

rocmoc n AZ
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't the first place in Colorado to have this type of designated dispersed camping locations. I know of a number of other places where this would also be welcomed. It isn't because of campers who purposefully destroy the campsites. It's because there are just so many people out looking for boondocking locations nowadays. In many places where we camp anymore, we've given up on boondocking and hit the NFS campgrounds instead. We usually have more privacy than the boondocking spots where people get pretty wall-to-wall.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the article makes clear, this is not the end of boondocking – it just limits the number of boondockers by requiring us to park at specific sites, rather than just anywhere we want. This new rule is a great and necessary development -- the area was being overrun by folks who camped just about anywhere and everywhere around Crested Butte.

For example, we were in Washington Gulch a few years ago and snagged what we thought was a great site -- it had a little signpost at the entryway, with a steeply sloping driveway leading up to a level pad.

That night, long after we got the trailer parked, a whole bunch of folks (eventually about 50 of them!!) parked their trucks along the sloping driveway, pitched tents, and built campfires, all within 50 yards of our trailer.

Fortunately, they were not too noisy, and they left the next day and picked up all of their trash. But still, this is not typical boondocking behavior!

And we saw the same thing happening all over the whole area, such as the Gothic Valley and Kebler Pass.

So don't despair – this will make it a lot nicer for those lucky folks who do manage to grab a posted site!!

And in case anyone wants to see photos of that area, here is our blog post:

Crested Butte

And once you see the photos, you will understand why this area is so crowded -- it is very beautiful, and everyone wants to go there.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
It was partly idiots, but it was partly just over use. To be clear, they are not saying that there is no longer camping in these valleys, just that the camping will be limited to designated sites (which are still 'dispersed'). This will primarily serve to keep the numbers more sustainable and hopefully improve the experience for all.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Unfortunately, the only way to protect those type areas from the idiots is increased restrictions and more rigid enforcement. 😞

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link:
Out There Colorado

This is a good thing, this area was getting destroyed.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freecampsites shows at least 9 or 10 did they close them all?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper