cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OHV Camping and Riding

josslund
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip to Eastern Sierra, Oregon and Washington this year, and looking for suggestions on where to camp and ride my UTV out of the park. I know many public lands have riding, and many public lands have camping, I'm looking for places that have both with style! Also, if you know of any private parks that have riding from the park in those areas I'd appreciate it. Gotta dump sometime:R
John and Lisa
2019 Tiffin 33AA
'20 Ford Escape Hybrid
12 REPLIES 12

josslund
Explorer
Explorer
That's the word I've heard.
John and Lisa
2019 Tiffin 33AA
'20 Ford Escape Hybrid

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like Mammoth Lakes/June Lake area is starting to open, or getting ready to open. Some of the FS campgrounds are open, not all, need to check first.

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
josslund wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I'm not planning to go until late summer early fall, so hopefully things will be a little more normal then. I know that Twin Lakes opened this past weekend.

Some of the Bridgeport area opened, and I think the Virginia Lakes area opened as well.

josslund
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I'm not planning to go until late summer early fall, so hopefully things will be a little more normal then. I know that Twin Lakes opened this past weekend.
John and Lisa
2019 Tiffin 33AA
'20 Ford Escape Hybrid

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
josslund wrote:
F-TROUP wrote:
Checkout Mamouth Lakes area no rv parks you can ride out of,but plenty of campgrounds to ride out of. You can dump and water up at rv parks for a fee.

Yes I've got my eye on a few places there. Do you know if you can get to Devils Postpile via an OHV route?

There is a ton of riding near Mammoth Lakes. However, . . .

Mammoth Lakes/ June Lake is pretty much still shutdown. Campgrounds closed. I'll be surprised if they open this summer. Not sure if people are dispersed camping in the forest, outside of the campgrounds.

Normally a good campground is Glass Creek between Mammoth and June Lakes - which you can ride out of.

No you can't OHV to Devil's Postpile. You can only drive there during the off-season, normally middle of summer you have to shuttle there from the ski area.

dedmiston
Hey John - You might have better luck in the Destinations section of the Toy Hauler forum. Let me know if you want me to move this thread over there, or you can open a new thread yourself.

No matter what though, don't forget to check the regulations in the state where you plan to ride. :B

Speaking of that, what's your UTV and where do you usually ride? Just being nosey.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

josslund
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
It is always a good idea to check the OHV rules for each state you wish to explore. Some require purchasing a permit. Some permits are reciprocal between states while others are not. Sometimes there aren't permit vendors open or near the destination.

Thanks Clint, I actually have done quite a bit of research. I'm hoping to get some anecdotal feedback from the brain trust regarding places to camp and ride from that campground. Do you have any suggestions that pertain to the thread topic?
John and Lisa
2019 Tiffin 33AA
'20 Ford Escape Hybrid

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
It is always a good idea to check the OHV rules for each state you wish to explore. Some require purchasing a permit. Some permits are reciprocal between states while others are not. Sometimes there aren't permit vendors open or near the destination.

josslund
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Checkout Mamouth Lakes area no rv parks you can ride out of,but plenty of campgrounds to ride out of. You can dump and water up at rv parks for a fee.

Yes I've got my eye on a few places there. Do you know if you can get to Devils Postpile via an OHV route?
John and Lisa
2019 Tiffin 33AA
'20 Ford Escape Hybrid

josslund
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for making me aware of the Oregon Safety course. I was not aware of that.
John and Lisa
2019 Tiffin 33AA
'20 Ford Escape Hybrid

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer

Y-Guy
Where in OR/WA are you planning on so far? There are some great Sand Dunes in Oregon; Winchester Bay, Florence, Coos Bay & Sand Lake. There are places in Eastern OR too, check out East Fork Rock and the Morrow County OHV park.

Oregon Parks & Rec Places to Ride

Do be aware as of now most places and camping are closed. Also do check out the section on ATV Safety Card I've seen a lot of out of State riders get burned and have to go into town to get a good signal so they can take the test.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon