Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Orlando Camping

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

We are planning a 3 week trip to Orlando in late April / early May. We have never been to Florida before, let alone Orlando.

We want to take in Epcot/Universal/Disney, but will also take day-trips to both coasts and take in a few sites along the way. We like to 'drop anchor' and then do our thing. Our question is this:

What is your recommended best campground in the area that can suit our needs. It would be nice to be able to bus it to the parks, yet be central enough to take off and do something different.

I hope this is enough info to leave you with as to what we have in mind. Opinions, experiences and recommendations are greatly appreciated.........thanks!!
15 REPLIES 15

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
IH_Fan wrote:
Hi folks,

We are planning a 3 week trip to Orlando in late April / early May. We have never been to Florida before, let alone Orlando.

We want to take in Epcot/Universal/Disney, but will also take day-trips to both coasts and take in a few sites along the way. We like to 'drop anchor' and then do our thing. Our question is this:

What is your recommended best campground in the area that can suit our needs. It would be nice to be able to bus it to the parks, yet be central enough to take off and do something different

I hope this is enough info to leave you with as to what we have in mind. Opinions, experiences and recommendations are greatly appreciated.........thanks!!
the

Many nice RV parks as mentioned here,great KOA on 192..It is the Orlando/Kissessmme KOA
Close enough to stores and restaurants to walk,nice park right across from Sam's Club
And a short Uber ride to all the parks...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Salty_in_FL
Explorer
Explorer
I will only let my worst enemy stay at Tropical Palms RV resort in Kissimmee, FL! We stayed there for 3 nights in their standard site. It was like a cheap trailer park. This used to be a nice place to stay...it has gone down hill really fast. Even if you are looking for a place to park and sleep for the night, you're better off in a WalMart lot!

CDEW
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Wilderness all the way. It is a little expensive but well worth it.

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the replies!

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Gatorland is a great visit, not far from Orlando.

Topic? What topic? Oh yeah...camp wherever you like! LOL.

Gatorland is on our "must do list" for anyone in the area. Hope you get a chance to try it out ๐Ÿ˜‰

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Fort Wilderness was a wonderful stay for us (caterpillars dropping on our heads throughout aside! Even waiting for the bus, many folks got onto covered in them), but holy smokes so expensive as is anything Disney.

Kissimmee whether RVing or renting a house in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's served us well as a great baselocation to access many attractions and POI's. Cypress Gardens, Disney Theme Parks, Busche Gardens, Sea World, Universal, Gatorland zoo, outlet malls etc. We used to enjoy an evening walk to the "back then" several themed mini golfs in Kissimmee itself.

Tropical palms as mentioned above.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Tropical Palms is a good family oriented park close to all the attractions. It should have sites available at that time of year. First choice would be Fort Wilderness but you would need to call as you got close to Orlando and see if they have a cancellation.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill Fredericks Is right down the road from Universal. City Park. Huge property.

Lake Louisa is nice. State Park. A few FHU.

I agree on Ft. Wilderness if you can get in at least for a few days.

Manatee Hammock in Titusville for the Space Center.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Excellant park also is Orlando SE / Lake Whippoorwill KOA we stayed there last year and it was one the top KOA's we have ever stayed at
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
My advice would be to find a state park. There are several within driving distance of the attractions. Maybe you can find a park and ride. You can check out photos of sites your interested in on campsitephotos.com
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Moss Park is a pretty nice county park in Orlando, and a considerable bargain compared to Disney's Fort Wilderness or most commercial campgrounds. Was only there 2 days, but was quite impressed.
2013 RT 190-Popular

bankmule66
Explorer
Explorer
I think by late April most snowbirds are gone. Most parks lower their rates in April or May.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Orlando south/ Kissimee Koa. we were there about 2 weeks ago.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well you will be right at the end of the snow-bird season down here. And that means campgrounds tend to be full. A lot depends on the weather up north tho, mild weather will tend to pull the snow-birds back north. Ft Wilderness is certainly the prime location for Disney. It is expensive and from what I hear somewhat tight packed. It does have transport to the Disney Parks tho. You need to go online and check availability for your time slot.

Other than that there are many CG in Florida, no surprise. but again you'll have to find places with open slots. RVParkreview.com is your friend here. And also reserveamerica.com.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper