cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Overnight stop in CT, NY, or NJ? Suggestions needed.

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a campground for an overnight stop in July anywhere along the New Jersey turnpike, New Jersey 287 north to New York 87 to Connecticut 84 to Hartford area. We are flexible about where we can stop along this area. Just looking for safe, quiet overnight stop with electric. We will be in a 34 foot fifth wheel and dually pickup and are headed to Maine. Will also need an overnight stop on our return from Maine. Can anyone recommend a good place to camp for one night along this route?
14 REPLIES 14

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Cabelas Hartford CT

The OP specified he wants electricity.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would suggest going west of all that BS you are talking about. Unless you are in NE MD. I used to live right at BWI in MD and frequently went to Vermont to ski in the winter. Up I-83 to I-81 to Scranton (drop down 380)to I-84 to Mass turnpike to I-290 to I-495 to I-95 into Main....I have taken this route all the way into Canada and this way cuts out everything from Baltimore to Boston. You decide what to do once you reach Maine. This might help

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lived in the area for decades and worked in the South Bronx. It's all a **** shoot. My suggestion is GWB to 87N to 287E, take NY 22 N(exit 5, iirc) and get on 684 N in Armonk, NY, to 84E. Plan on fuel in NJ or 87N and then there is fuel just over the CT border on 84.

95 - the CrossBronxXpwy, and the New England Thruway are packed, especially Friday afternoon northbound, fugetaboutit!!!

I would camp north of Waterbury CT; the Bristol suggestion appears to be a good call. There is at least 1 campground on the CT River north of Hartford as well.

And whatever you do don't get on a Parkway.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lived on Long Island for many years and have towed the TT over the GWB and thru the Bronx more times than I care to remember. Definitely more traffic this way than 287, but it only takes one accident and you're sitting no matter what route you take.

Not saying this is a better way to go, only wanted to let the OP know about the CG in Jersey City if that was a fit with his plans.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
GW Bridge is a tough travel. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike

The bridge itself usually isn't too bad, and the exit for 87/Deegan is right there when you hit the Bronx. We lived on LI for many years and most of the pain of the Cross Bronx going East is after that Deegan exit. Not saying always but most of the time. Why I didn't recommend staying on 95N up to 91N to Hartford, it's brutal. There will be some pain going over the bridge, but at the same time 287 is no bargain either....

I did the GW bridge about 25 yrs ago.. never again.. yeah I try to avoid the whole I95 to I91. The 287 beltway/Mario Cuomo bridge traffic does move as I have had much better luck.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick to the 287 to 87. I would look for something in ny off of 87. I live in jersey. And nothing really close to the parkway. Allair state park may be an option in jersey, but not sure how far off the parkway it is. And I never stayed there. Ny, is probably the best bet.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mdcamping wrote:

Mike

The bridge itself usually isn't too bad, and the exit for 87/Deegan is right there when you hit the Bronx. We lived on LI for many years and most of the pain of the Cross Bronx going East is after that Deegan exit. Not saying always but most of the time. Why I didn't recommend staying on 95N up to 91N to Hartford, it's brutal. There will be some pain going over the bridge, but at the same time 287 is no bargain either....

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a spot in Jersey City not too far from the NJ Pike, Libery Harbor RV Park, exit 14 off of the turnpike, take I-78 east. Beautiful views on NYC and a lot of folks use it as a camping spot to visit the city since there is a scheduled passenger ferry that runs across the Hudson.

If you're coming up 95, skip 287 and stay on 95, then take 95 across the George Washington Bridge then you pick up 87 NY Thruway right after you cross the Hudson, so you'll miss a lot of the traffic on the Cross Bronx (95N). Then 87N to 287 to 684 to 84 to Hartford.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Cabelas Hartford CT

Also check out other location on this website also check out Free Camping
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on when you arrive in New Jersey and how you feel about KOAs, there is a KOA off Route 295, Exit 18. It is listed as Philadelphia South but it is in New Jersey. You would take Rt. 295 north from the Delaware Memorial Bridge rather than the N.J. Turnpike. There are also a few campgrounds in the Jackson area near Rt. 195 in central New Jersey, but they are farther off your route if you are just looking for an overnight stop. You won't find anything suitable in North Jersey.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mike, will do.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I84, Look into Lake Compounce Campground in Bristol,ct has large, flat easy in/out sites.

Mike