cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Palmetto Island State Park

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Any information on Palmetto Island State Park in Abbeville Louisiana?
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
2 REPLIES 2

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loved Palmetto Island State Park. It was a couple of years & storms earlier and it was super. Far better than Grand Isle, but of a different ilk, both are nice.
Palmetto has more secluded, private sites where Grand Isle is more big rig oriented.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Never been.

Everyone I know who has stayed there (maybe a dozen) loved it.

However, based on a recent hurricane and a major tropical storm flood rains, I would urge you to call the park and talk to them, or the Abbeville Chamber of Commerce, about current status and any possible issues such as electrical power issues.

Personally, we have planned to visit Grand Isle SP this winter. Even thought it is currently closed due to hurricane damage, I will not plan on a visit for at least a year.

Other LA SP currently closed are Tickfaw SP (we have stayed there - nice), Fontainebleu SP (another we like), Fairview Riverside SP - these three are on the north side of Lake Pontchartrain.

Also closed is Bayou Segnette SP (just across the river from New Orleans in Westwego)

Abbeyville also has a city RV park which is popular with snowbirds.

EDIT - Of course being in southern Louisiana swamp land - be sure to take good mosquito repellant. Even in the middle of winter.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT