cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parking permits in the GSMNP

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The NPS is toying with the idea of implementing a parking permit system in the GSMNP. The is a public input period so that people can express their thoughts on the NPS website. They are also thinking about doubling camping fees. The park will remain free to get into and tour but if you park to hike you will be required to have a permit. WATE and WBIR news covered this so if you want to see what the news stories said go to their websites.

It's kind of difficult to NOT STOP somewhere in the park to see the sights. 14.1 MILLION people came to the GSMNP last year.
23 REPLIES 23

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Mayor30 wrote:
Maybe we're doing something different in Pa,but for the past 20 + years the parks have been upgraded with more FHU sites and new bathouses and concession stands. And the rates are pretty reasonable. In Va state parks we paid $48 for a W&E hookups. In Pa you can get FHU for less than that.For state residents it's $27 for electric and $40 for FHU.They charge $4 more per nite for a Friday and Saturday but give a senior discount of $4.50 a nite.

This is the National Park, not a state park. Tennessee state parks are well run and very nice. Some of the best state parks I've been in.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe we're doing something different in Pa,but for the past 20 + years the parks have been upgraded with more FHU sites and new bathouses and concession stands. And the rates are pretty reasonable. In Va state parks we paid $48 for a W&E hookups. In Pa you can get FHU for less than that.For state residents it's $27 for electric and $40 for FHU.They charge $4 more per nite for a Friday and Saturday but give a senior discount of $4.50 a nite.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
charlestonsouthern wrote:
Would fee-based parking permits include those people who have lifetime senior citizens or "golden" passes provided by federal parks across the US?

According to the FAQ list from the park, the passes like the golden passes will not cover the parking fee. Everyone will have to pay.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
pbeverly wrote:
I don't know what the solution is. The reality is things are totally different today from when the National Parks were created. People now have the ability to easily get to them and experience them. That ease creates a numbers problem.

Yes, the parks are supported by our tax dollars. Another reality is the money the parks are getting from our tax dollars is not enough to maintain the parks. There is a serious backlog of maintenance issues.

Here in SC the State Parks have to be able to sustain themselves. This has actually improved the parks. Yes you pay to get into the bigger and popular parks. Those fees also help keep the crime down.

Again, don't know the solution but something has to be done. Will be camping for a week in May near the GSMNP before school is out, so hopefully not too bad. Went to Grand Canyon last year 2 weeks after Easter hoping to miss Spring Break and had no crowd issues. I am sure COVID helped the crowd issues there last year.

Good words and a good point. Just because there are taxes doesn't mean the politicians will send more of those dollars to the parks. SC has excellent state parks at least those I've visited. I agree that it does keep down the crime too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know what the solution is. The reality is things are totally different today from when the National Parks were created. People now have the ability to easily get to them and experience them. That ease creates a numbers problem.

Yes, the parks are supported by our tax dollars. Another reality is the money the parks are getting from our tax dollars is not enough to maintain the parks. There is a serious backlog of maintenance issues.

Here in SC the State Parks have to be able to sustain themselves. This has actually improved the parks. Yes you pay to get into the bigger and popular parks. Those fees also help keep the crime down.

Again, don't know the solution but something has to be done. Will be camping for a week in May near the GSMNP before school is out, so hopefully not too bad. Went to Grand Canyon last year 2 weeks after Easter hoping to miss Spring Break and had no crowd issues. I am sure COVID helped the crowd issues there last year.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Clingman's dome is insane and the shuttle bus, one from the east and one from the west would be a much better situation. The east side of the park is much overlooked (a good thing for those who visit it) and there is much to see and do both inside and outside the park.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve said it before. We pay for the Parks with our Taxes. To tax it again to use them is not right. On top of the fee to get a timed entry ticket to get in said paid for Park!

Yes itโ€™s crowded. But Iโ€™d you donโ€™t like crowds then donโ€™t go during the busy time. Otherwise itโ€™s not on me to pay to use something that we are already paying for!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
The park has a mandate of no fees. From its very beginning FDR promised there should be no fees for this national park. I honestly don't think this will be implemented but still, go to the NPS website and voice your opinions.

Technically, the entrance to the park itself will not have a fee. It is the parking that will require a fee.

Personally I'm seeing some of our parks are struggling with over-usage. They're being trampled. Limiting per diem visitors isn't a popular idea but it's the only solution that seems floatable right now to allow the parks to recover.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The park has a mandate of no fees. From its very beginning FDR promised there should be no fees for this national park. I honestly don't think this will be implemented but still, go to the NPS website and voice your opinions.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
I agree JoeH ... that's why the park will likely gain little if any funds from a charge for parking. It will probably cost more to enforce it than it generates.

And, what about those with ATB passes? Do those count as a parking pass? And, if we leave the pass on the dash, how do we use it in the park? I have no clue, but generating a parking fee becomes a lot more complex than just 'charge a parking fee', I think.

I agree too.... while the concept is OK with me ( I don't mind to pay to park if it helps support the park) , with the openness of the park and multitude of entrances/roads and no kiosks/entry gates, it'll be a bear to enforce. We go there at least once a year and stop for a week or so on our way north ( and sometimes on the way back to FL) and do a lot of hiking so we do use parking at the areas around trailheads.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree JoeH ... that's why the park will likely gain little if any funds from a charge for parking. It will probably cost more to enforce it than it generates.

And, what about those with ATB passes? Do those count as a parking pass? And, if we leave the pass on the dash, how do we use it in the park? I have no clue, but generating a parking fee becomes a lot more complex than just 'charge a parking fee', I think.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
JoeH wrote:
...and then I think who will be enforcing the parking if they go to permits ?
Rangers are few and far between in the park.

NPS will use the parking money to pay a couple of vendor employees to enforce the parking stickers and cite the cars without one. IF any money is left after payroll, federal taxes, and benefits, the park might get it for parking lot maintenance.

With 800 sq miles and over 400 miles of roads within the park, it's going to be a huge effort to enforce and educate.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
I was at Zion and thought the shuttle system was the WORST I have seen anywhere in the world.

I will NEVER use them again. I will only go when I can use my own car to get around.
Well, I was at Zion the day before the shuttle system opened for the season, and every parking pull off was full with cars parked along the road for a half mile or so either side of every pullout. Many sections were reduced to one lane with volunteers trying to guide traffic. A complete zoo.

While the shuttle system isn't perfect, it is far better than the results when there is nothing.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
JoeH wrote:
...and then I think who will be enforcing the parking if they go to permits ?
Rangers are few and far between in the park.

NPS will use the parking money to pay a couple of vendor employees to enforce the parking stickers and cite the cars without one. IF any money is left after payroll, federal taxes, and benefits, the park might get it for parking lot maintenance.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic