cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pickensville Campground

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any one have any info on Pickensville Campground, it's located just west of Pickensville, Alabama, on Aliceville Lake. RVReview's last post was July 2011, and positive, but things can change. We'd like to make an overnight there on our way to the gulf coast (from St Louis to Panama City, FL). But over Memorial weekend, Sunday night to be precise is proving a challenge. ReserveAmerica shows 25 openings to date. That would be stretching our drive that day to 7 hours, which is more than I wanted, but then also shortens the next day to a little over 4, which is manageable. Our biggest hang up is that we want to get as far as we feel we can at the time, so don't want to make reservations, especially for a site we little or no info on, and then not feel up to driving that far.
We have a B and only require electric, so size and FHU's are not needed.
Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
11 REPLIES 11

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
That was our site (21) for May 25, Sunday then on the road. I believe we did meet you and thanks for the info you shared with us.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
Did u stay on site 21 at Foscue, ????
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, made it to Tyndall after our stop at Foscue. What a nice Corp campground (Foscue) and would definitely go there again. Met a very couple from Demopolis who shared a bunch of info. Passed through Florala campground and am really glad we didn't stay there. Just not our type of camping. We prefer a bit more rustic and less homes for neighbors. Somehow or another managed to eke out 3 nights at Grayton Beach SP, our favorite park, before heading on to Big Lagoon SP and then on to Gulf Shores and the beach house. Blue Bluff COE park in MS and Piney, COE Park in TN were our last nights before heading home. All in all a good trip and in part, thanks, to all of your info and advice.

Thanks agin.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks katfish, and yes I am a disabled vet and really am looking forward to the Tyndall campground. Been discussing this with "she who must be obeyed" (dw) and we might make 8 hrs. Monitoring the available sites and we'll see what happens. See how she feels and maybe it's a motel 6 or such, but much rather make the campground. Thanks for the kind offer.

katfish
Explorer
Explorer
I am assuming u r military or retired military??? Maxwell AFB has a campground , if u r going that way might check it out..
I live in Demopolis if u need anything on Foscue Creek.

Good luck
"Every day is a adventure and every trip is a voyage of Discovery"
Steve & Cathy
U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
2012 KZ StoneRidge 36ul
2004 Dodge 3500 (Diesel DRW)
Advanced Air Rider hitch

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
That seems to be my problem. From StL to Pickensville is 7 hrs, Foscue Creek/ Demopolis is another hour. That could be just long enough for a divorce. (But worth a thought, the extra hour that is.) Thanks for the info. Still watching the reservation sites for details.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Hiking Hunter wrote:
Pickensville is nice, but a little out of your way, I think.

I have camped at most of the COE campground on the Tom-Bigbee. All are about the same. One of the best COE . . :C . . in the area is Foscue Creek at Demopolis, AL. It is not on the T-B.

Go 3 mi west on US 80, turn right at signs and go approximately 2 mi following signs to park entrance., Demopolis AL 36732. Close to Walmark and down town.

GPS N32 30.900 W87 52.020
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Pickensville is nice, but a little out of your way, I think.

Not sure of your exact route, but try Lake Lowndes SP in Mississippi. Nice and probably on your way if you're coming in Hwy 78. It's just over the AL/MS line on the MS side.
Also, if you want to keep coming toward Tuscaloosa (past Pickensville), try Lurleen State Park. It's right on the way if you're on Hwy 78. Call 1-800-ALA-PARK for reservations and info. It's not as nice as Pickensville, but for a one night stop-over it should be fine.
If all else fails, come on in to Tuscaloosa and go to Deer Lick CG (another COE park). It's pretty nice but a little out of your way (approx 8 miles off of Hwy 78).
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are actually heading to Tyndall Air Base and want to arrive there Tuesday. We want to stay at Florala SP Monday. (It should have a vacancy then, with the holiday being over and all.) In plotting a route and checking, the best I could, various reservation sites to see how many vacancies there might for Sunday, most parks are booked so our route kept changing. Dewayne Hayes Campground, as mentioned above, is booked up according to ReserveAmerica. Many of Alabama's SP show no reservation info on line and the info is not available thru ReserveAmerica, and I don't know where else to look. We are partial to COE and State parks in general, but not totally opposed to private ones for a one nighter. So if you have any suggestions, any and all help would be appreciated.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I actually drove through the park two weeks ago as I was in the area on business and wanted to scout it out for future use. The park is typical COE, very clean mostly well laid out sites, some pull thru's and quite a few sites on the water. I will definitely stay there in the future.

Now my question is Pickensville is pretty much out of the way of major routes to the FL. panhandle. What route are you taking to get to Panama City that will bring you through the boondocks like Pickensville? There are a lot of lonely country roads in that area.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We have never stayed there, but went a few years ago to visit friends who were camped there. It looked really nice.

Just to mention another campground in case you need a choice. You can also get info on Reserve America---Dewayne Hayes Campground is a COE campground, too, and on the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway. It's just north of Columbus, MS, where I live, off Hwy 45. Pickensville is about 25 miles southeast of Columbus. We stayed at this campground when we bought our rv about 8 years ago.