cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Places to Stay near San Antonio, TX

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning our annual spring (Feb - Mar) visit to Arizona and would like to spend a few days to check out San Antonio, TX. We have 35' Travel Trailer and usually like State Parks. I have looked and do not see any St. Parks or COE Campgrounds. Any suggestions of places to stay? Thanks for any info you may give.
Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH
Equal-i-zer Hitch
16 REPLIES 16

JColeman
Explorer
Explorer
Travelers World is definitely the CLOSEST to downtown and we enjoyed it's convenience. But we prefer spots a little outside the city and found Hidden Valley RV Park last year, on the SW corner of San Antonio to have a quiet country atmosphere and very hospitable staff. Didn't use it but they have a private creek for fishing. Also has new and spacious bath houses and modern laundry. Several seasonal people there but a separate area for shorter term like ourselves. Liked both sections of the park though. They invited us to a weekly campfire and the RVers and staff were all there. It was a friendly spot and felt days from a city but only 15 minutes from downtown San Antonio, the Alamo and Riverwalk.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA a month ago. Pretty nice park. We were there 2 years ago also. Plenty of cable TV stations. Internet access not so good though. Bus stop right across the street. Beats trying to park the truck downtown. May try Traveler's World next time though.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

kydale
Explorer
Explorer
And did I mention they have cable tv with bazillion stations, and a good internet signal. Nice people, a golf course right next to it, the park is on the Mission Trail also. If the like flowers you should visit tha San Antonio Botanical Gardens. That's not close.

kydale
Explorer
Explorer
Travelers World. We stay there twice a year. Ride city bus to river walk, Tower of Americas, Alamo, Mexican Market. There is a Walmart close by. They have nice long pull thrus, and a good Mexican restaurant you can walk to across the street, and it is right on the San Antonio river where you can walk or bike ride. What more could you want!

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Travelers World. Nice place, great location, nice people. great local TexMex restaurant across the street.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
My secret parking spot in SA that few seem to know about is next to the Mercado. Second floor has lots of open parking. Don't remember how much it was but cheaper than anywhere else. Has attendant. Exit your vehicle, down one set of steps and cross the street to the Mercado.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger02 wrote:
Another spot to consider is the KOA off Gembler Rd. We stayed here several years ago, and it worked well for us. Easy 10 minute bus rude to downtown, and it sits on the Salado Creek Greenway.

I'm generally not a big fan of KOAs, but this one worked well for our needs.

X2 - stayed there in May...there are some peaceful campsites very close to that greenway, which was ideal for walking the dog. We used the bus - easy way right into heart of town.

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
It is not fancy nor rustic, but we really enjoyed our two day stay at Braunig Lake RV resort. They honor Passport America discounts. The staff was friendly and helpful. Park was super clean. It is located off of I-37, a couple of miles south of I-410.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have always stayed at the military campgrounds when spending time in SA, great places to stay over if you have access.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We have also stayed at Traveler's World and would again. Not a state or COE park, but a good place for touring SA. Located on a street that runs directly downtown, about 2 miles, with good parking within 1-2 blocks of the Riverwalk. And then also close to the Alamo, Mercado, and other downtown destinations. Or there is a bus stop directly in front of the park if you prefer not to drive there.

Also located near some of the missions on the mission trail.

And a Walmart is only a few blocks away. :B

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
Another spot to consider is the KOA off Gembler Rd. We stayed here several years ago, and it worked well for us. Easy 10 minute bus rude to downtown, and it sits on the Salado Creek Greenway.

I'm generally not a big fan of KOAs, but this one worked well for our needs.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Castroville Regional Park might work. About 30 minutes from San Antonio. Castroville Regional Park
816 Alsace Street, on the Medina River
For Park Reservations or More Information call (830) 931-4070
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Since we live in SA, we have only stayed in one local part--Alamo Fiesta in Boerne where we do our annual checkout before departing. I play golf near Travelers World and it looks busy with lots of RVs and its location would keep you out of daily traffic on the interstates and other roads. If you do choose a park outside of SA, the morning and evening commuter traffic can be heavy. Also parking in downtown SA for the Alamo, Riverwalk, etc. can be pricy. Hope you will visit and enjoy SA in the Winter!

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Travelers World RV Park in San Antonio because it's right on the bike path and the bus stop to go downtown is right across the street. We did both! Here's a blog post on our two days in San Antonio ... there's a link to Traveler's World RV Park.

Two Days in San Antonio
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net