cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quartzsite

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Was wondering how safe Quartzsite area is for boondocking. Can you leave your camper and go site seeing for the day and not get ripped off? Only stayed in Quartzsite one night while passing thru and that was at a RV park.
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)
18 REPLIES 18

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
It is not really boondocks camping with 10,000 other people. It is urban camping with no hookups. I have never understood the attraction at all. The good rocks and gems are now in Tucson.

We just came from Quartzsite last week.

We camped for $5 per night (honor system) right next to the Gem & Mineral Pow Wow at Quartzsite and a free shuttle picked us up 200 feet from our motorhome that was drycamped with zero security risk. The DW knows her minerals and we can easily find superb world class stuff at the Pow Wow and could spend $1000's of dollars per piece if we could afford it. There's also a whole bunch of great stuff just a couple of miles down the road at the Desert Gardens - again with camping right next to the vendors.

We really like the laid back, easy going atmosphere at Quartzsite and the uncrowded drycamping right close to the vendors such that no running around in another vehicle is necessary in order to get to them. Also .... before or after Quartzsite .... you can go close by into the boonies to do your own rockhouding if you don't want to buy everything from vendors. We especially like to take our motorhome out into the remote areas around the Colorado River to look for our own great finds.

Also FWIW ... on our RV trips we like to stay as far away from cities as possible.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent the winter at Quartzsite for the last 3 years (I'm in La Posa West LTVA right now). True, it isn't real boondocking, but it sure beats upstate NY winter!

I haven't had any theft problems even when I was the only one in the area. This week, with the Big Tent show going on, it is almost as crowded as a commercial campground.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not really boondocks camping with 10,000 other people. It is urban camping with no hookups. I have never understood the attraction at all. The good rocks and gems are now in Tucson.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Did it 2 years ago. Camped close to the big tent and had a blast. Take a small genny withyou and its a great way to get introduced to boondocking. Everybody should go at least once.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Gottahaveit
We have a group of anywhere from 10-20ish that camp together every year and have never had a problem. We park in the LTV ($40) area but away from most. 20+ rigs this year and everyone is still having a great time. Common sense re: leaving your generator out in plain site etc is helpful. Been going for years and will continue...Love Q
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing the Q thing since '99 and have never had a problem. I don't even lock the bay doors. If you stay in an area where there a few RVs instead of way,way out in the toolies, you will be fine. There are numerous campgrounds within the city limits if you don't want to boondock

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out "The RV Forum Community"(its a separate Forum from RVNet)...They have a group that gathers at the same spot every year and they are very welcoming to anyone. They generally have 25-35 rigs in a large spread out area, there is always someone around to keep there eyes on things
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

MrWizard
Been to Q, three times never had a problem
Some people have going for many years

Don't confuse Quartzite with "slab city"
Big difference, two different environments
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
janechucknicodemus wrote:
Getting something for "free" is not what is "too" good.
My 2 p.

That depends.

If you have no problem standing in line for two hours, for a "free" $2.00 breakfast, more power to you LOL.

2gypsies wrote:
Yes, it's safe. Except don't leave valuable outside... like most places.

Like most places?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Never had an issue at Q but I donโ€™t go so far out no one is around and I introduce my myself to closest neighbors. Yes, Iโ€™m eyeballing them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Fishhunter wrote:
Just reading a thread under RV Lifstyle.. sounds like a sheethole...think ill pass on boondocking there.
That thread isn't about the Q.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
My brother goes every year. But, he meets up with the Montana Owner's Club. They have around 20 rigs, so he is never really alone.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just reading a thread under RV Lifstyle.. sounds like a sheethole...think ill pass on boondocking there.
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Drove through that place,,coming to 29 Palms a real park. Looked, saw and went, what a dump. Getting something for "free" is not what is "too" good.
My 2 p.