cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-enforced reason to boondock

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Washington state senior off season pass that allows us to camp for free ($10 for hookups which we don’t need) from October-March and Sunday-Thursday in April fir $75. It’s a great deal and we use it in the off season. Last Thursday, we left for Fort Casey state park. It was probably ¾ full but no one was on either side. It was a bit stormy and it rained a bit, but, hey, we are on a beach. The word got out that this weekend was supposed to be sunny and it is. But, the campground is full today and day use people are here, too. I don’t begrudge everyone because it’s their Park, too. But, generator to the front, generator to the back and they are loud and incessant. At least they go off at 9pm.

So, once again, I am reminded why I like remote campsites away from the big RVs that need all that power for all their toys. I guess we are introverts and prefer solitude and quiet. Next time we will camp midweek to avoid the crowds.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog
27 REPLIES 27

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
greydog wrote:
We own a campground and believe me, generators are one of the big issues but everyone learns to deal with it. Pets are another issue. So are late-night parties. One night I heard what sounded like a chainsaw at about 11:30 PM. I went up to see what was going on and it turned out to be a gas-powered margarita mixer. When I was writing up the rules about "quiet time" it never occurred to me to list margarita mixers as something you couldn't run after ten. When I mentioned to the offender that I had had some complaints he said, "they could have come for a drink". I explained they didn't want to drink, they wanted to sleep. He finally got the message. The same guy has been camping with us for seven years now and I think I have to jack him up over something every year. It has become a tradition. We are new to rv travel and are curious to see what it's like on the other side of the fence. GD

We also own a small campground, rustic, no hookups, just a porta potty. Generators are allowed but restricted to between 10am to 6pm to appease neighbors and tent campers. The four spaces are far apart so doesn’t bother any one. Most of our campers are tent campers or have solar on vans or TCs. No margarita mixers but I have seen one. Pretty cool. Happy camping.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

greydog
Explorer
Explorer
We own a campground and believe me, generators are one of the big issues but everyone learns to deal with it. Pets are another issue. So are late-night parties. One night I heard what sounded like a chainsaw at about 11:30 PM. I went up to see what was going on and it turned out to be a gas-powered margarita mixer. When I was writing up the rules about "quiet time" it never occurred to me to list margarita mixers as something you couldn't run after ten. When I mentioned to the offender that I had had some complaints he said, "they could have come for a drink". I explained they didn't want to drink, they wanted to sleep. He finally got the message. The same guy has been camping with us for seven years now and I think I have to jack him up over something every year. It has become a tradition. We are new to rv travel and are curious to see what it's like on the other side of the fence. GD

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
Off Pavement wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I don't know If I should tell ya, but Kulshan Camp ground at Baker lake is free too in the off season. And it was empty today.

I really hate hijacking a thread so I'll just mention that I had a very "unusual" experience at Kulshan... I heard Bigfoot, or not. I did hear something very strange one night while camped out there, and though I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it, I was doing some research on the campground and during an internet search, "Vocalizations at Kulshan Campground" popped up. Now I wonder what the heck I actually heard!

Bigfoot Field Research Organization

That wasn't Bigfoot. That was Old Man Johnson, the caretaker of the campground, trying to scare you off so he could buy the land cheap and then sell that land at a high price to a land developer.

Another groovy mystery solved.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Anyone that goes to Fort Casey thinking they are going to have solitude and silence is either a) living in a dream world or b) has never been there. Probably the most popular state park in the whole US. Look out over the wild water towards Port Townsend...watch the boomers sail in or out...or most anything else the US Navy has to offer going to or from Bremerton and all the commercial traffic.

People walk onto the Keystone Ferry for a day trip into Port Townsend. It is a hugely popular and small campground.

If anyone wants a great spot? Casey is it...but it ain't quiet.

Gary Haupt

We have been thete often in the off season. I dont mind it being full but when the FHU sites are full then the big rigs fill the economy sites. I do not mind generatirs: I just don't like loud ones. Btw, my grandparents owned a waterfront home on Race Lagoon from 1964-1989. My sibs and I used to play hide and seek at Fort Casey.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Anyone that goes to Fort Casey thinking they are going to have solitude and silence is either a) living in a dream world or b) has never been there. Probably the most popular state park in the whole US. Look out over the wild water towards Port Townsend...watch the boomers sail in or out...or most anything else the US Navy has to offer going to or from Bremerton and all the commercial traffic.

People walk onto the Keystone Ferry for a day trip into Port Townsend. It is a hugely popular and small campground.

Gary Haupt

if you believe Cassey is busy, try Deception Pass.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Off Pavement wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I don't know If I should tell ya, but Kulshan Camp ground at Baker lake is free too in the off season. And it was empty today.

I really hate hijacking a thread so I'll just mention that I had a very "unusual" experience at Kulshan... I heard Bigfoot, or not. I did hear something very strange one night while camped out there, and though I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it, I was doing some research on the campground and during an internet search, "Vocalizations at Kulshan Campground" popped up. Now I wonder what the heck I actually heard!

For the size of, it Kulshan is about as remote as you can get with a motorhome.

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom/Barb wrote:

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
There's nothing a duck hunter hates more than another duck hunter.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
clikrf8 wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Now you know why we plan our big trips in the off season. usually End of March to First of June. and end of sept. to first of Nov.

We do, too. And, this is off season but it was a sunny weekend. Lots of people from close by.

Where do you plan to travel this year? We have 4 four to five week trips planned. Sort of loose itineraries in specifuc areas. Happy trails.

We are planing to go to Hawaii, of course we'll not take the Newmar. 🙂

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Now you know why we plan our big trips in the off season. usually End of March to First of June. and end of sept. to first of Nov.

We do, too. And, this is off season but it was a sunny weekend. Lots of people from close by.

Where do you plan to travel this year? We have 4 four to five week trips planned. Sort of loose itineraries in specifuc areas. Happy trails.
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
Campers are upset by:

1. Other people’s kids
2. Other people’s dogs
3. Campfire smoke
4. Late night loud campers
5. Campers who leave early
6. Campgrounds that get locked at night
7. Campgrounds that let non campers drive through
8. Speeding vehicles
9. People who camp near their site when many other sites available
10. Too many lights at night
11. All kinds of noise (kids, dogs, generators, etc)
12. Too many campers in one site
13. Campers who park their vehicles hanging out of their site making it difficult to get by
14. Unfriendly campground hosts
15. People walking through their sites
16. Reservation policies at campgrounds
17. Campers who don’t vacate their site by check out time
18. Dump station behavior - too long, messy

What am I missing?

I try not to get too frustrated by these while camping since I am there to relax and enjoy life.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go camping to be alone, not to be ten foot next to another camper.