cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reserve America reservation fee for FL State Parks

PcolaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I found out today while volunteering at Big Lagoon State Park in Pensacola that that new reservation fee of $6.70 isn't really new. The state park system had been paying it to Reserve America but will now be paid by the camper when reservations are made. This will save the state parks several million dollars over the course of a few years. I am glad to hear this, at least our parks will benefit from this change instead of Reserve America making more money.
10 REPLIES 10

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
So that is where that charge came from. While I don't like to pay cancellation fees, it does help keep people from making 10 different reservations with the intention of only using one.... better yet maybe Reserve America could make their system only allow one reservation per day per email address... ๐Ÿ™‚ Or let FL give residents an extra month to book sites ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
Used to be, at any given time, I would have $3000 of paid reservations at Keys campgrounds for FORTY THREE bucks a nite. Change fees and such--just a part of the deal.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
cyntdon2010 wrote:
The $6.70 is find with me,Florida state campgrounds are the best.

If only the $6.70 would go to the parks.
That $6.70 goes to pay the employees of Reserve America, pay for the website and pay for all the other overhead that comes from running a reservation center. The states and other agencies that use Reserve America have made the decision it is cheaper to pay the outside vendor for those services than it is to run them in house. It is most likely a good deal for both parties.
As for cancellation fees, these forums are overrun with threads about how hard it is to get a reservation at popular parks. Low cancellation fees have a lot to do with that. If it doesn't cost you anything to make a reservation and then cancel it later, why not tie up multiple sites for multiple days and make your travel decision later? The only workable way around that is to make the cancel fees hurt.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I especially love when they charge $17.00 to cancel or change a reservation even six months away at a park that is always full.:R

Living if Florida I would be surprised if you don't know why. Because of that I don't mind.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
cyntdon2010 wrote:

If only the $6.70 would go to the parks.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I especially love when they charge $17.00 to cancel or change a reservation even six months away at a park that is always full.:R
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
I agree also. have done 23 so far and have 6 booked for the coming season starting in oct.

kellyandpatti
Explorer
Explorer
i agree

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer

where else can you access to beaches, lakes,rivers, and walmarts..
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I know here it is more than that to reserve. I was told a substantial amount goes to the software developer.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)