cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserve California new system

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
California has a new reservation system Now is to the date You have to wait till 8 o’clock for the calendar to change so if you are already on the website you have to keep refreshing your iPad or computer My problem is when 8 o’clock comes I refresh right away it takes a few seconds but by the time it takes me to the page where the campground sites are the site I want is already gone How can those people get the site faster than me . Are there any tricks I don’t know off ! Please help
13 REPLIES 13

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
The California Parks website is the worst we have used and we have used just about every states. When we travel in California we usually use private parks just for this reason. Chuck

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep doing it. I forwarded this thread to their "transformation team" also.

It won't get fixed immediately, but if they realize it's affecting their customer numbers, they will do something.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
As far as I can tell, you have to select a location first. This is the type of issue that Parks needs fo become aware of so that they can make changes to simplify it.

Yes, I have e mailed them and talked to "them" in person. I am sure my comments have gone nowhere. In the past, you still put in an initial location (i would use my zip code) and then all of the parks would be listed in order of miles away, instead of just 6 or 8. Oh well. Nothing's easy.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as I can tell, you have to select a location first. This is the type of issue that Parks needs fo become aware of so that they can make changes to simplify it.

Cali-MinnieWinn
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone figured out how to get a listing of availability of all the parks? We are flexible and in the past, you could put in dates and be able to see all available parks. Now you have to put in a location and it gives you 8, I think. This is how we have found new parks to visit. Last year, we didn't even get to one state park. We toured other states and national parks and the reservations were simple to make and the fees much more affordable. I have almost given up on our state parks.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Didn't think that the new system could be worse than Reserve America but it is.
But that's what happens when the state gov't gets involved.

IT in California gov't departments is notoriously poor.

It was contracted out to a private company - as most of these systems are. The problem is often that the private companies like to contract a set price for a specific time frame and then anything beyond that is extra. So the private company likes to draw out issues and the state ends up cutting off the contract before everything is resolved. Add that the media likes to publicize perceived "inefficiencies" so departments rush to get a final product and it's guaranteed that these IT projects are failures.

I meant to say that someone in California gov't IT is overseeing the private contractor and they will be woefully under qualified.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
P.S. If folks would post their specific issues with the new system, it will be seen by Parks and may result in improvements.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:

It was contracted out to a private company - as most of these systems are. The problem is often that the private companies like to contract a set price for a specific time frame and then anything beyond that is extra. So the private company likes to draw out issues and the state ends up cutting off the contract before everything is resolved. Add that the media likes to publicize perceived "inefficiencies" so departments rush to get a final product and it's guaranteed that these IT projects are failures.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh and try refreshing about 30 seconds before 8 am - practice on days you aren't trying for a site and make note of how early you can hit refresh for it to log in at 8 am.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please provide feedback to them on things like this. The system is new and the developers really didn't understand how people select campsites when they built it. It's a frustrating system even for folks who work for parks.

I think you can go to the screen that lists the campgrounds in the park unit and refresh that page without getting kicked backwards. But at the moment it's telling me the entire site is down.

Multiple tabs help also to a point.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I found a way but if I post it everyone will use it and then it would no work.
So sorry no can do!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many use multiple computers and quick fingers. Primo sites in California Parks system require a lot of luck to secure.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG