cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rest Area / Truck Stop Etiquette

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
We will be heading out for a month-long trip in the near future. My itinerary calls for a couple of nights at Walmart, and a Pilot Truck stop on the way.

I have checked that the WalMarts we plan to stop at do allow overnight parking.

The Pilot truck stop has overnight RV spots as well as RV gas lanes.

But, in reading other posts I am seeing stuff like "Don't put out your slide", "Don't park in the overnight truck lanes", "Never sleep at a rest area".... etc...

Now I have enough sense not to drag out the lawn chairs and gather firewood... But I do have to put my slide out in order to access my bedroom... So...

1. Has anyone stayed overnight at Pilot Trucks Stop? Are the RV parking spots along side the 18 wheeler spots?
2. Assuming my slide does not extend to an adjacent spot, or impeded normal driving space... Whats wrong with sleeping at a rest area?

TIA!
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
60 REPLIES 60

dedmiston
It feels like this discussion has run its course. Thanks everyone for keeping it civil.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
I read in a news story about a guy who was sitting in a coffee shop utilizing the free WiFi to read his favorite online forum. Then some guy came in and shot him. Guess I better stop reading online forums...

It was probably the same cheapskate who slept the night prior at the free rest stop where they had no wifi, and his Consumer Cellular Geezerphone had no signal. So he drove on over to Starbucks to feltch himself some free wifi, probably while looking for a reduced price breakfast buffet LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I read in a news story about a guy who was sitting in a coffee shop utilizing the free WiFi to read his favorite online forum. Then some guy came in and shot him. Guess I better stop reading online forums...

:B

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
You never know for sure what's safe and what isn't. Here's an example, note 4 of these were at a Cracker Barrel.

https://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/local/2017/02/16/revisiting-kalamazoo-shooting-timeline/97869480/

I donโ€™t sleep inside Cracker Barrels while theyโ€™re open, and I never use Uber......

They weren't in Cracker Barrel they were in or getting into their cars in the lot and they also weren't using Uber. He just drove up and shot them. I was just pointing out that you never know for sure about most any place.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

Iโ€™ll bet thereโ€™s been proportionately a LOT more shootings at campgrounds than campgrounds.

Are you saying nobody should stay at campgrounds anymore?

Methinks there's a typo there. I bet the number of shootings at campgrounds is just about the same as those at campgrounds. ๐Ÿ˜‰

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
hornet28 wrote:
You never know for sure what's safe and what isn't. Here's an example, note 4 of these were at a Cracker Barrel.

https://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/story/news/local/2017/02/16/revisiting-kalamazoo-shooting-timeline/97869480/

I donโ€™t sleep inside Cracker Barrels while theyโ€™re open, and I never use Uber......

Iโ€™ll bet thereโ€™s been proportionately a LOT more shootings at campgrounds than campgrounds.

Are you saying nobody should stay at campgrounds anymore?

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
I have Cracker Barrels filed next to Camping World... none of my money going there...
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

oldchief7155
Explorer
Explorer
Cracker Barrels are a better option than rest areas and truck stops. Quieter and safer.

Lots of things that crawl out from under rocks frequent rest areas after dark. My 33 years in law enforcement taught me to NOT overnight in rest areas.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

We just ignore those remarks and do what works for us.

Same.

We absolutely prefer campgrounds. But sometimes it just doesn't work out with our travel schedule and route. So . . yeah, we've overnighted at a WalMart a couple of times. Once at a Cracker Barrel. Each time we've done it we've been very thankful those businesses were available. Especially the Cracker Barrel--that was a desperation thing after being stuck for hours in a road construction related traffic jam. We were exhausted and couldn't have safely driven very much longer. Their breakfast the next morning was very good! We've never stayed at a rest area but wouldn't hesitate to if necessary. Every time we've been driving during the night and pulled into one for a break there have been people sleeping in cars. So I really doubt any LEO would bat an eye at our small RV, or any RV parked in an appropriate spot and manner.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
campendium.com/

Might help ๐Ÿ™‚
Never heard of this one - checked it out, found some CG's that I doidn't know about - one had a spot in March the exact week I needed it! Thanks for posting!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
We just ignore those remarks and do what works for us. We've spent the night in rest areas along with other RV'ers and in truck stop areas,

This is good advice!

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:
So from reading the replies in this thread, your either a degenerate for using some type of free overnight parking because only sleaze balls use those, and you will be robbed and spat upon by truck drivers, or you can use a camp ground and severely bother other campers who are sleeping - because of course you are coming after midnight and leaving before 6.

So pick your flavor of degenerate and just do what feels right for the present time and circumstances.

Pretty much lol.

It's a free country, I suppose whatever floats your boat you can do. I don't shop at Walmart, and don't plan to ever, so the last place I'm looking to stop, even for a couple hours of rest is Walmart.