cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RMNP Update - 6/9/15

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from a trip up to Rocky, 2nd trip of the season! Some things of note that might be helpful to others wanting to visit, either east side or west side.

-- Glacier Basin. Stayed there, really nice as always. I was a bit surprised at the number of folks still there on a Sunday afternoon when we pulled in, and I'd say it was probably at 50% capacity on Monday. Stayed on D Loop (preferred Loop), because of the best views of Longs Peak and the other mountains to the south. Not much of a view from the other loops due to the trees. Trade off -- shade or view. We went with view!

-- Trail Ridge Rd. Still lots of snow up top, but it's all plowed and they got the Alpine Visitors Center and the Trail Ridge Store and Cafรฉ open, but it's quite the sight with all the snow still piled up. Looks like it's gonna take probably 4-6 weeks for it to melt down. The restrooms at the visitor's center were out of service/snowed in, but the 2nd restrooms were open. Rocky is still shooting for a July opening for the Old Fall River Road. It was clear of snow at the top part by the Trail Ridge Store.

-- US 34/The Big Thompson Canyon. As has been noted before on here, for those not wanting to pay Estes prices for a place to stay, Riverview RV Park between Loveland and the mouth of the canyon is a good alternative. They continue to rebuild/remodel their facilities there, and it's starting to look quite nice with the spring greenery.

There's also two more to consider, 2 that were destroyed and rebuilt. Drake Campground in Drake at the intersection with the Glen Haven Rd is open for the season and looks like they've done a pretty good job in rebuilding it. There's also 7 Pines RV Park, a very small park further up the canyon between Drake and Loveland Heights, that reopened this spring. What's amazing about them is they were just about completely wiped out in the floods, and frankly, I didn't think they would be able to rebuild but they did. It's a very small park, looks like only a dozen or so sites, but worth considering, since essentially brand new.

-- Estes Park. Crazy as ever, people everywhere. Lots of traffic. 'Nuff said.

-- Grand Lake. Took our traditional ride over to Grand Lake, and I'm sorry to say, it's not faring as well as Estes Park. Yes, there were people there, but it was also telling that some of the popular restaurants in town appear to be out of business, some that we've been going to for years. Looked like there were quite a few businesses that have either not opened for the season, or are not going to open for the season. One of the restaurants was completely empty, nothing inside at all. One of the ice cream places at the end of Grand Ave not open, and the putt putt golf had a for sale sign out front and was shuttered. I'm hoping this is just temporary for Grand Lake, since it's such a funky little town and a great alternative day trip to going in to Estes.

Did the short hike to Adams Falls, just outside of town at the far end of Grand Ave. Definitely worth the hike! Views of the lake were killer, and the water was running high so the falls were in full power. An Awesome site!

-- Campgrounds. We checked out several while over there. It's been a long time since we've actually camped over there, so we checked out some the popular locations.

Timber Creek in RMNP. This one, we're definitely going to get to this season! Paved roads and sites, and though there's no shade due to the trees being removed, it was still quite comfortable there, with temps in the 60s. And there was practically no one there, on a Monday afternoon.

Winding River Resort. Rustic but nice. Lots of sites with water/electric, and two different areas for full hookups, one up front by the entrance, and one all the way in the back. LOTS of activities on site there, cowboy type stuff, so if you want a taste of western hospitality, this might be the place! ATV's to rent on site, as well as horseback rides. Staff there was very friendly, told us to go on in and look around the resort. Nicely laid out. Been a long time since I've camped there, another one to consider.

Stillwater/USFS and Green Mountain/USFS, outside of Grand Lake. Both very nice. Paved roads, gravel sites, caters to a mix of RVs/Trailers and tents. Some AWESOME views of Lake Granby and Shadow Mountain Lake, with lots of boating potential, if you happen to want to bring a boat along. Insanely busy on weekends, not so much during the week. Drove through yesterday/Monday, hardly anyone at either location.

Hope anyone reading this will find some information that may be of use to them, when making your travel plans to the area. I have no vested interest in any of the sites/businesses/etc mentioned, just a love for Rocky Mountain National Park!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
8 REPLIES 8

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
AS usual, Thom, great job! Sometime, someplace we will have a Starbucks! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZRick wrote:
Tom-

You'd helped with suggestions on travel Buena Vista-Rocky last week (thx again). Sorry I missed you- we were there in D149 Sun & Mon. A great site. We loved the meadow and mountain views.

WOW! You were just down from us! We were in D-145! Great views of Longs Peak from those sites.

AZRick
Explorer
Explorer
Tom-

You'd helped with suggestions on travel Buena Vista-Rocky last week (thx again). Sorry I missed you- we were there in D149 Sun & Mon. A great site. We loved the meadow and mountain views.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Thom, getting psyched for our 1st trip there in Sept.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Thom. Great write-up. We've volunteered at Glacier Basin and it's a beauty. The beetles have really done damage through the whole area. Sorry to see it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
12thgenusa wrote:
Did you mean Moraine Park CG? Glacier Basin really doesn't have trees anymore.

Nope, Glacier Basin. Loops A and B are in the trees, quite a few of them. Loop C is a mix of trees and open. Loop D is completely open, as is the Group Loop.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Did you mean Moraine Park CG? Glacier Basin really doesn't have trees anymore.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice write up... Thanks EPark was too much of a Tourist Trap for me 40 years ago. Hope Grand Lake is just late in getting going as it's my preference of where to stay.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...