cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Park & Route ??? For Columbia Gorge

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Want to do a few day trips along the Columbia Gorge This coming week, have a few questions.

First, I need some recommendations for RV parks that can accommodate our 42' 5th wheel near Vancouver, WA or Portland, OR. Not interested in getting too close or into the cities. Rural community would be great.

Second, am I better off day tripping on 14 in WA or 84/30 on the OR side to get the best views of the gorge? Our perhaps some other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.
7 REPLIES 7

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Sandy Riverfront RV Park in Troutdale, which we felt was a good place between Portland and the Gorge. Definitely drive Hwy 30 in your tow vehicle.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon side.... particularly if you are taking photos (not shooting into the sun). KOA is good.

Don't expect a "gorge" as such - just a big, wide river valley.

Make sure you stop at Multnomah Falls.

Love it.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
Visit Bonneville Dam and the fish locks and Maryville WA for wineries. Oregon State Park Ainsworth near the waterfalls

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
For day tripping, stay on the OR side on US 30 (not for RV's). Check out these brochures:

Waterfalls

Highway history

State Parks

AAA Auto Tour

If you want to stay in the gorge, check out Ainsworth SP. 40 FHU sites. Access is from the interstate so you don't have to drive on US 30.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
There are numerous wonderful waterfalls on the OR side. We spent 5 nights at the KOA there last year and could have used a few more days. The weekend will be jammed though throughout the entire area I'm sure.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer the Oregon side for all the waterfalls along the Gorge. If you can dry camp for a few days stay at the Giles French Park just below the dam.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
The 14 has good views, but 84 is closer. The temps are dropping so dry camping may be an option for you. One of my favorites is near Rufus OR, just downstream from John Day dam. Right on the river. Free.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman