cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Antonio then to coast

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
planning trip to San Antonio then heading down to coast.

anyone recommend great state park in TX that is right on waterfront?
no private cgs, we are park people ๐Ÿ™‚

haven't been to this coast and not sure of it and starting to check out info but would love personal recommendations. a bit of travel from san antonio is not an issue, just want a great ocean front experience.

thanks alot for any info!!
12 REPLIES 12

JColeman
Explorer
Explorer
Garner State Park is less than 2 hours from SA. It's on the Frio River near Concan TX. The RV sites are not right on the river but some are closer than others. Those always reserve first. Beautiful park and a favorite among Texans.
There's also a family owned park on the San Antonio south west edge called Hidden Valley RV (Von Ormy). Nice country atmosphere but only 20 minutes to Riverwalk.
Enjoy your stay in San Antonio.

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
we want to go there, nice pics,
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We camped right on the shore at Goose Island State Park and thoroughly enjoyed it. We took day trips to Aransas National Wildlife Refuge (while the whooping cranes were there) and to the Rockport, Aransas Pass, Port Aransas area for fresh seafood right off the boat. The state park even has a long, lighted fishing pier into the lagoon, so you can walk to salt water fishing right from your campsite. We also got some great sunset photos of the bay and the barrier islands. We would highly recommend Goose Island for a long or short stay.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on Travelers World

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonderful.

Thank you ALL very much for the info. I will be checking into every single place you guys mentioned. I have alot of internet websites to check now and I love researching out my trips ๐Ÿ™‚ Great info and thanks for posting.

TT1 thanks for putting your 2 day visit to SA in your post. I enjoyed it. Yes the river walk, boat and missions are on our list. This was 2 days and you packed in alot of fun.

Thanks fellow RV'

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
We recently spent a few days in San Antonio - highly recommend Travelers World RV Resort as a private place to stay - right on the bike path and across the street from the bus to downtown. We parked our truck and didn't move it until we left San Antonio several days later. Here's a summary of what we did .... ENJOY!

Two Days in San Antonio

We didn't care for Mustang Island State Park - too much like a parking lot. On down the Padre Island a bit is Padre Island National Seashore with a campground, similar but we liked it much better than Mustang Island. Don't go to South Padre Island unless you like tight spots, but lots to do. Here's our 17 FUN Tips for Visiting South Padre Island from our stay earlier this year.
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
one_strange_texan wrote:
The state parks I am familiar with that are right on the Gulf are further up the coast where the beaches are not as nice as in South Texas. 1) Galveston State Park on Galveston Island and 2) Sea Rim State Park in Sabine Pass. Mustang Island State Park and Goose Island State Park are where the beaches are nicer. Based on the reviews I would think Goose Island would be preferable, but I have not been to either of these more southern parks.

If you count "waterfront" as a lakeside or riverside, you open up a lot more options.

Something I particularly like about Goose Island is that the ocean front sites are on packed sand behind a retaining wall. You can park the heaviest rig feet from the water without fear of getting stuck.
Larry

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
The state parks I am familiar with that are right on the Gulf are further up the coast where the beaches are not as nice as in South Texas. 1) Galveston State Park on Galveston Island and 2) Sea Rim State Park in Sabine Pass. Mustang Island State Park and Goose Island State Park are where the beaches are nicer. Based on the reviews I would think Goose Island would be preferable, but I have not been to either of these more southern parks.

If you count "waterfront" as a lakeside or riverside, you open up a lot more options.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Nueces County Park also has RV spots right on the beach. It is in Port Aransas and can be accessed from Beach Street or E. Cotter Street. We stayed there years ago and they had water and electric at the sites.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Matagorda Bay Nature Park. It belongs to the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA). Colorado River on one side and Gulf Coast on another. FHU, concrete sites with wifi.
Larry

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks Mayor.

in fact Blazing Star is the one that has caught my eye for staying in San Anton. Hubby said a bit ago he wants private cg for San Anton and park is wonderful for water front fun.

cool. glad you gave it great recommendation. Will do river walk, boat tour, bike and Alamo and missions and all that when there but the beach coast is our draw. I am currently checking out Mustang.

Thanks for telling me the cg is close to the water. a boardwalk is nothing to handle. close enough for us ๐Ÿ™‚

Seems I am on the right track with your recommendations and what I am finding online. Appreciate your help!!!!!

mayorb
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed at Blazing Star not a state park in SA. We had a great time. But, a great state park north west of SA in Guadalupe SP. Beautiful place I want to go back there. On the coast is Mustang island state park right on the beach( there's a sand dune you have to cross on the board walk) I like it also. Texas has some of the best state parks.

Mayor