cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sangchris State Recreation Area Illinois

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heading across the midwest in July and looking at Sangchris SRA as an overnight stop. Anyone with recommendations on a loop there or a particular site?

TIA
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
3 REPLIES 3

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also should have mentioned that staying in July you might want to avoid sites 13, 14, 15. They have great view of the lake and really nice campsites but in the afternoon and early evening you'll catch full sun on the rear of your camper. It can get pretty warm.
Camped in every state

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wadcutter wrote:
I live just a few miles south of Sangchris Lake State Park. Run thru there at least once a week.
There are 2 campgrounds at Sangchris. Hickory Point and Deer Run. About 1 mile apart.
Hickory Point is on the water. Electric only. Water available at the sewer dump and a few places around the campground. The shower house/restroom is at Hickory Point. Most sites are fairly level altho some may been a bit of leveling to get perfectly level. Sites 4 thru 20 are back up to the water altho 16-20 are 30-50 feet away. Sites 31-55 back into open grass or inner circle. Lots of space between all sites. None are on top of each other. Most are shaded except for the inner circle. On a weekend you'll definitely need reservations. It will be full. During the week most likely can pull in and get a space. We prefer sites 4 thru 20 depending on the time of year and if spring or fall which way the wind is blowing from.
Deer Run is electric only. No water. No shower house. Some pits. Sites are all level and fully shaded. It's quieter in Deer Run. Even on a weekend you can usually get a spot but not always. During the week there may be only 3-4 campers. We have no preferences for sites in Deer Run. They're all OK.
I don't know if there's any more info you would like. Just ask. It's a nice state park.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for, someone who's been there and has first hand knowledge. Yes, I read the RVparkreviews; it's great to have something more real-time. I appreciate your response.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live just a few miles south of Sangchris Lake State Park. Run thru there at least once a week.
There are 2 campgrounds at Sangchris. Hickory Point and Deer Run. About 1 mile apart.
Hickory Point is on the water. Electric only. Water available at the sewer dump and a few places around the campground. The shower house/restroom is at Hickory Point. Most sites are fairly level altho some may been a bit of leveling to get perfectly level. Sites 4 thru 20 are back up to the water altho 16-20 are 30-50 feet away. Sites 31-55 back into open grass or inner circle. Lots of space between all sites. None are on top of each other. Most are shaded except for the inner circle. On a weekend you'll definitely need reservations. It will be full. During the week most likely can pull in and get a space. We prefer sites 4 thru 20 depending on the time of year and if spring or fall which way the wind is blowing from.
Deer Run is electric only. No water. No shower house. Some pits. Sites are all level and fully shaded. It's quieter in Deer Run. Even on a weekend you can usually get a spot but not always. During the week there may be only 3-4 campers. We have no preferences for sites in Deer Run. They're all OK.
I don't know if there's any more info you would like. Just ask. It's a nice state park.
Camped in every state