cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sleeping Bear Dunes

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning on going there next May - like early May.

There are 2 CGs - One has electric and the other doesn't. The one without electric is the one closest to the main dunes and the other one is about 23 minutes away from there.

We've never been there so we want to pick the correct place to camp. We can do the one without electric if it won't be too cold. We'd rather not drive once we are parked.

Anyone with experience... Which one would you pick and why?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
15 REPLIES 15

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
We were there late this past summer. Actually stayed outside the Park (Timberline CG, Benzonia.) maybe about 20-30 min. drive. Nice area - but need a car to really tour and see it.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, during cold weather, Platte River campground is the right choice, even though you have to drive to Lake Michigan and all of the other parts of SBNL. However, in nice weather, DH Day is our all-time favorite campground. Right on Lake Michigan, beautiful campsites. Close to most of the action--Glen Haven, Coast Guard Station, Glen Arbor, etc.--all a short bike ride away on the brand-new bike path that runs through the park. Starting in January, reservations will be possible, which may or may not be a good thing.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
You will have a great time. The cooler weather is great and should keep down mosquitos and black flies.

2PawsRiver
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a great time there...โ€ฆ.Right across the street is Riverside Boats and Canoes for a canoe trip on the Platte, either the tame stretch between the livery and the lake or the wild upper river.

The Cherry Bowl Drive Inn is just a few miles away....Traverse City is not too far and has a lot of places to go and see.....there is a pretty good Zip Line just east of Traverse City.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here are temps this past May for Honor, Michigan (where Platte River campground is). Brrrr! Granted, each May will be different... you know how weather is. Can you move your trip to the first two weeks of June at least?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/honor-mi/49640/month/2211144?monyr=5/01/2018

Explore this national lakeshore's web site for lots of good information, especially under the 'Things To Do' tab:

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I do a yearly boondocking trip to that general area every May. Be prepared for nighttime temps in the 20s and possible snow.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much for the responses - looks like we'll stay at the Platte River CG and do some driving. Not a problem - we usually consider it more relaxing to walk everywhere once we're camped - but can do it differently this time. ๐Ÿ™‚

We're prepared for cool weather camping - that's the best for hiking - don't want snow though! Looking at Weatherbase Traverse City looks to have very similar weather and temps as here at home.

2gypsies wrote:
I just looked at your photos - very nice! I see you have a travel trailer. Why not take it on the trip?
Thanks! The driving around doesn't make any difference if we take our trailer or our B. We're trying to get used to the B for longer trips - it's such a fun RV...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
It could still be cold. Honestly, it was snowing here in the lower peninsula through the end of April this year. It might be nice and warm, but it's typically cool right on Lake Michigan.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Platte River campground. As others have mentioned, you have to drive to see much. You can walk to a beach from Platte River, but not to the big dunes. Don't know what is near the other campground, it seemed kind of remote. There is a bike path from Platte River to the other parts of the park but I can't recall the distances.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have stayed at Platte river Federal forest and it has been great. Clean restrooms and everything you would want. The drive is good to the park but there are other things in the area that you will want to see. FishTown, wineries, Glen Arbor, Glen Haven and the Pierce Stocking drive through the dunes.

I would never go there without having a vehicle since it is so much more than just a pile of sand.

Have fun and welcome to Michigan.

The Empire Asparagus Festival is also in May and in the area. https://www.everfest.com/e/empire-asparagus-festival-empire-mi
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at your photos - very nice! I see you have a travel trailer. Why not take it on the trip?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Oldmaple
Explorer
Explorer
Early May will probably still be cold especially with the wind from the west coming over Lake Michigan. Probably going to need to drive to get to the different parts of the park. The Pierce Stocking drive is nice. It is a loop through the different dune stages with nice overlooks and stops for walks out into the dunes.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
It could be quite cold yet in May, so I would choose the one with electric.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Posts containing SBD
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman