cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbirds heading back to the RVG yet?

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if the winter Texans are arriving in the RVG yet. November seems to be the month we begin to see the arrivals.
For me I'll come in mid to late December for three months. Hope the weather is better than the last two years.
SkeetShooter
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member
25 REPLIES 25

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be down in January, as soon as the deer hunt is over in the Hill Country. Can't wait for a Gonzales burger!
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feed back. It sounds like it will be a fun time in the RVG again this season. I guess Pepe's will be open again this season. Maybe even more than Sunday. Did anyone hear anything about their plans for the year?
Look forward to joining you all soon.
SkeetShooter
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member

Explorer II
Explorer II
We're going to spend a month in hill country mid-March to mid-April.

Motorcycling is pretty awful in the RGV so we hope to get some quality riding in Hill Country on the (slow) trip home.
The Three Sisters is some of the best Texas has to offer

hillcountrycruising.com
motorcycleroads.com

Be careful and enjoy the ride
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We always got on 45 going off Galveston island (like you are going to Houston) then take FM 2004 exit to 288 (Angleton) then on to 35. FM 2004 is good road and there is a large gas station midway. You will also go right by the 200' tall Sam Houston statue.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Is the ferry big enough for a 42' 5th wheel?

It can easily handle multiple RV's and does all the time. Nice little free boat ride also, keep an eye out for dolphins when you get near the island harbor.

Also make sure you got plenty of fuel before heading down the Bolivar Peninsula. With my Class A I never worried about it with that big fuel tank, but now that I jumped ship to a 5'ver/truck I will.

I'll be using that ferry in a month or so going south. Hardest part of the trip is my GPS doesn't know the new roads to get to TX35 (or TX59) after you leave the town of Surfside, TX on the way to the Valley.

That is the tricky part of the whole trip, so make sure you got it covered in your mind and/or GPS (especially with a rig that long.)

Sidebar:

There is a Wal-Mart in Port Lavaca that is perfect to spend a night at then onto the Valley. I'm not a big Wal-Mart night type, but I will/have do/done that one after a neighbor told me about it.

Palacios has an RV park next to the shrimp boats also.

Dang, 42 foot sure is a big one. Hope, I don't steer you wrong with taking the back way down to the Valley.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
joebedford wrote:
...snip..Other than that, where is interesting for 2-3 day stops at the beginning of December?

You got Galveston Island on your route. From NO take the Bolivar peninsula down to the HUGE free ferry to the island. If you really want to blow some of the budget the Cruise Lines leave from that area even.

Rockport/Port Lavaca are nice in early December if you've never scoped out that area. It's a drinking area with a fishing problem. ๐Ÿ˜‰ If you're into bird watching it's also a gathering spot that many go out of their way to get too.

We've done Rockport and usually spend a night or two there on the way to the Valley. Probably will this time but it sounds almost full up from other posters.

Yes, The Bolivar ferry is BIG! It carries semi's. not as small as the Port-A ferries. Would recommend calling ahead for Rockport stay over! Parks are filling up, but most will wait until after Turkey Day, so you may be able to sneak through for a few nights!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
TomG2 wrote:
There are many fun and interesting things to see and do in the Hill Country of Texas that people miss in their hurry to the RGV.
We're going to spend a month in hill country mid-March to mid-April.

Motorcycling is pretty awful in the RGV so we hope to get some quality riding in Hill Country on the (slow) trip home.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
John&Joey wrote:
joebedford wrote:
...snip..Other than that, where is interesting for 2-3 day stops at the beginning of December?

You got Galveston Island on your route. From NO take the Bolivar peninsula down to the HUGE free ferry to the island. If you really want to blow some of the budget the Cruise Lines leave from that area even.

Rockport/Port Lavaca are nice in early December if you've never scoped out that area. It's a drinking area with a fishing problem. ๐Ÿ˜‰ If you're into bird watching it's also a gathering spot that many go out of their way to get too.

We've done Rockport and usually spend a night or two there on the way to the Valley. Probably will this time but it sounds almost full up from other posters.

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
I am a mobile RV repairman in Mission, TX. The Winter Texans are arriving in full force this week. My phone has been ringing steady for 10 days.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Then there is San Antonio, River Walk, the zoo, Missions, etc...

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
There are many fun and interesting things to see and do in the Hill Country of Texas that people miss in their hurry to the RGV.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I think people have been arriving in our park because when I called my friend last night, she was playing cards in the hall! We are in Houston, done with doctor appointments and heading out to the RGV today. Will stop for the night before going in. Get there around noon tomorrow, get the bird **** cleaned off the pad and back her in for now. If the weather turns too cold again this year, we will probably bug out.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I usually blast as fast as I can to at least Memphis where I can unwinterize.

We're crossing at Detroit and headed to the RGV.

We're planning on spending a couple of days in New Orleans. Other than that, where is interesting for 2-3 day stops at the beginning of December?