cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spring vacation in Arkansas

mabel
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a vacation in May in Arkansas.
Any tips on places to go and stay.
We like the out doors, hiking, and historical things, natural wonders, gardens, etc.
24 REPLIES 24

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks also to Kit, who is also my neighbor.

My wife reminds me that it was not September, but last OCTOBER that we were in Mountain View, but not at the Bean Festival.

An aside: We are in Destin, FL riding out the storms.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
SEE BELOW

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
jkmac wrote:
You might look at the Mountain View area, the town is really great with lots of things to do in the area.

Agree with my neighbor, who happens to live in one of our favorite towns, Henderson, Texas.

We made our first visit to Mountain View last September. We were fortunate to be there for the "Next Generation" concert in the Ozark Folk Center auditorium--very talented young musicians. We could walk right out from the RV park to the auditorium -- and to the rest of the interesting Ozark Folk Center.
You need to go there in October for the Bean Fest & Great American Outhouse Race. Lots of music on the courthouse square and plenty of fun.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Arkansas is a dirty, non camper friendly state with nothing to do. Go to Texas instead.

There, now maybe I can get a spot at our local campground this summer......
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
jkmac wrote:
You might look at the Mountain View area, the town is really great with lots of things to do in the area.

Agree with my neighbor, who happens to live in one of our favorite towns, Henderson, Texas.

We made our first visit to Mountain View last September. We were fortunate to be there for the "Next Generation" concert in the Ozark Folk Center auditorium--very talented young musicians. We could walk right out from the RV park to the auditorium -- and to the rest of the interesting Ozark Folk Center.

jkmac408
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at the Mountain View area, the town is really great with lots of things to do in the area. Blanchard springs Caverns have great tours and good fishing. The Ozark Folk Center is a state park dedicated to the old the old mountain music and way of life of the area. Also the White river runs thru here with great trout fishing. Good camping.
Kenneth

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We never visited Arkansas until 2014. Absolutely had a blast on a fall RV trip and stayed at Lake Catherine SP, Petit Jean SP, and a private CG called Shady Oaks near Jasper. We always try to visit somewhere new, but we will head back that way soon.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Some repeats here:
Crystal Bridges Museum
Pea Ridge National Military Park (Civil War Battlefield)
Eureka Springs (we stayed at one of the COE parks around Beaver Lake - roads in and out of Eureka Springs are curvy).
Tompkins Bend on Lake Ouachita
Blanchard Springs Caverns north of Mountain View. Very nice, unspoiled cave
You mentioned gardens. Check out Garvan Woodland Gardens SE of Hot Springs. Associated with the University.
Talimena/Skyline scenic drive.
Buffalo River area.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Anywhere along the Buffalo National River river. We especially like the area between Jasper and Ponca. There are some really nice primitive campgrounds along the river as well as a couple of private rv parks in the Jasper area. Lots of amazing hikes and lots of water falls. Lost Valley trail and the hike to Hawksbill Craig are definitely must do hikes. There is an outdoor center in Ponca where you can get local maps and hiking trail advice. There is also a canoe outfitter in Ponca and this is one of the most beautiful and scenic river floats anywhere.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arkansas is at least four different regions, with some local variation:

Ozark Plateau with deep valleys and reservoirs forming lakes, north central and most of northwest part of the state. There are many state parks and Corps of Engineers recreational access facilities on these reservoir projects. The area around Rogers and Bentonville in the northwest is becoming a major urban center with rapid growth of retirement communities that attract people who have jobs to provide services needed by us old folks.

Ozark Mountains, a small uplift in the plateau, NW Arkansas just north of I-40. Petit John State Park is the nicest place to visit, Mount Magazine SP is more into the mountain terrain.

Ouachita Mountains in the SW part of the state, old mountains a lot like the southern Appalachians. Hot Springs is here, on the highway going SW out of Little Rock, and Crater of Diamonds (a volcanic plug) is over by Murfreesboro. You can dig in the mud to look for gems at Crater of Diamonds State Park.

Delta Country in the east central and southeast part of the state. This is mostly agricultural, but there are small parks on some of the ox-bows, and it is a popular area for people who like relaxing types of fishing (just don't go sneeking in to fish someone's catfish farm). Lake Village, just across the Mississippi River from Greenville, MS is a popular area with campers and fishermen looking to relax.

Then there is Little Rock, a major urban center sitting at the point where all these different parts come together. Little Rock is the site of the Clinton Presidential Library, and is where you'll find the museums, theaters, orchestras etc that Arkansas has to offer.

By the way, May in Arkansas, after school has let out for vacation, is no longer Spring, it is already Summer. That's why school lets out for earlier for Summer vacation in the South than in the North. Not as hot yet as it will get in July and August, but usually already warmer in May than it will get in August in Michigan. That's why I go to Michigan for Summer.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Hot Springs - Lake Catherine State Park or Catherine's Landing RV Resort. Lots to see and do in Hot Springs.
Petit Jean Mountain State Park
Eureka Springs - we stayed in Berryville at their little city campground. Reasonable price full hookups including cable. Friendly little town.
In Fort Smith we stayed at Springhill Corps of Engineers Campground in Barling. Don't miss the "Miss Laura's Visitor Center" tour and The Trolley Museum and trolley ride.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Crater of Diamonds just rebuilt their camping area. It has a pool/water park. All those other places mentioned are worth seeing too. Arkansas is just nice country everywhere.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

hl_remington
Explorer
Explorer
AR. has over 50 state parks.Get a free AR. vacation guide,well worth your time

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Lake Dardanelle SP, and visited Jean Petit SP, Mt. Nemo SP and Mount Magazine then moved south to Lake Ouachita SP. Buffalo Point Rec Area is a beautiful area along the Buffalo River. Bull Shoals SP is nice, it is below the dam at Bull Shoals Lake.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB