cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

State Parks

flathead92
Explorer
Explorer
So BC ( before Covid) we didnt have to much of an issue getting res at AZ state parks. Now there like 6-8 months out. When we do get a res, and are there we see open spots everywhere, lots with names on posts BUT peeps never show. I SAY SCAM
65 REPLIES 65

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Peak season is the time to stay away from the tourist trap known as Myrtle Beach. If interested in getting in the ocean then Late September early October is a great time to go. Just have to pray no hurricanes show up. We went in February couple years ago and were in our bathing suits on the beach. Didn't get in the water, but was a great time to go.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While I'm sure Myrtle does get a few more visitors during Spring Break.
It is far from peak season. Getting a site for Spring Break is relatively easy vs. sometime in June, July or August. March is still a bit too cool for beach activities in Myrtle.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spring break usually starts up in early March and runs through April. It's difficult to pinpoint these days as every school establishes different weeks off. But that also means one week doesn't get 90 schools worth of kids - instead those 90 schools are spread throughout 6-8 weeks.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I just booked into Myrtle Beach for the last week in March 7 days + 1 free. Thatโ€™s supposed to be a busy week. Going from there to Charleston the next week and no problem there either. Happy camping folks, enjoy your life.

Myrtle Beach in March would hardly be considered as prime time for camping. I think the folks on here are talking about the summer months when the parks get filled up.

Isn't it spring break then?

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I just booked into Myrtle Beach for the last week in March 7 days + 1 free. Thatโ€™s supposed to be a busy week. Going from there to Charleston the next week and no problem there either. Happy camping folks, enjoy your life.

Myrtle Beach in March would hardly be considered as prime time for camping. I think the folks on here are talking about the summer months when the parks get filled up.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Iโ€™m just wondering if Iโ€™m in the minority or the silent majority. I have never experienced the issue of a public campground being booked solid but a substantial number of sites being vacant. But to be fair, I also donโ€™t spend any of my time trying to determine the โ€œbookedโ€ vs. โ€œoccupiedโ€ status of the hundreds of campsites over the week that Iโ€™m there (I got no time for that). In other words, I wonโ€™t be calling the governor, itโ€™s not an issue to me.

True. Most of the CG's, State or Forest Service types only have 3-4 out of 30-35 no shows. Not really anything to get upset about.
YMMV depending on region.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Iโ€™m just wondering if Iโ€™m in the minority or the silent majority. I have never experienced the issue of a public campground being booked solid but a substantial number of sites being vacant. But to be fair, I also donโ€™t spend any of my time trying to determine the โ€œbookedโ€ vs. โ€œoccupiedโ€ status of the hundreds of campsites over the week that Iโ€™m there (I got no time for that). In other words, I wonโ€™t be calling the governor, itโ€™s not an issue to me.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I camp at both state park and private CG's.
The experience at a state park is much different than a private park.
State parks are generally more about experiencing nature vs. Private.
If you just want to compare them in terms a $$. In some cases the prices maybe close enough. However if you want to compare pricing in a resort area, or an area with some sort of attraction private will be much more expensive.
If you want to compare experience they are generally very different.
Most state parks are built on land that was set a side for public use
because of some unique feature. There is generally way more to a state park than just a cheap camp site.

I would agree with the above statement

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
LMHS wrote:
#1 These are government campgrounds run by government workers or government contractors. They. Don't. Care. Reserved sites are paid for and they don't care if the site sits empty. All your whining isn't going to make much difference.

#2 Increase your options. I still haven't figured out why so many of you people think private campground owners are the spawn of Satin. There are also plenty of city/county parks that are under used. Go. Someplace. Else. I have found that using a 50% off discount (Passport America or Happy Camper) often gives me a w/e/s site for the same or less than the state/federal parks w/e sites. Once all the fees are added in, I have discovered that many public parks have priced themselves out of my preferred budget. Sometimes, you just need to go camping someplace different.

I camp at both state park and private CG's.
The experience at a state park is much different than a private park.
State parks are generally more about experiencing nature vs. Private.
If you just want to compare them in terms a $$. In some cases the prices maybe close enough. However if you want to compare pricing in a resort area, or an area with some sort of attraction private will be much more expensive.
If you want to compare experience they are generally very different.
Most state parks are built on land that was set a side for public use
because of some unique feature. There is generally way more to a state park than just a cheap camp site.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will never change if no one speaks up. Whining about it here won't change anything, but maybe it will convince people to start calling their state government and voicing their concerns.

I worked for a state park system. I can tell you that if you the ear of the governor or a state representative, it gets things moving.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
LMHS wrote:
#1 These are government campgrounds run by government workers or government contractors. They. Don't. Care. Reserved sites are paid for and they don't care if the site sits empty. All your whining isn't going to make much difference.

#2 Increase your options. I still haven't figured out why so many of you people think private campground owners are the spawn of Satin. There are also plenty of city/county parks that are under used. Go. Someplace. Else. I have found that using a 50% off discount (Passport America or Happy Camper) often gives me a w/e/s site for the same or less than the state/federal parks w/e sites. Once all the fees are added in, I have discovered that many public parks have priced themselves out of my preferred budget. Sometimes, you just need to go camping someplace different.

X2

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
austinjenna wrote:
I checked Ohio State Parks and they state "If you donโ€™t arrive for a reservation and if you donโ€™t contact the park to cancel, you will forfeit all fees paid."

So, if you are staying at your state parks, you do stay at campgrounds with a requirement to show up on the first day.

Sorry that is not what that means that there is a requirement to show up on the first day. What it means is if you don't show up and didn't cancel the reservation you wont get any money back.

Sorry, I added "on the first day" by mistake, you are right it is show up at any point during your reservation period or you forfeit. So you do have an occupancy rule - it's just not as stringent as others.

It may be that Ohio doesn't have a big problem with no shows or folks gaming the system. It may be the dnr doesn't care about no shows and folks don't complain about it.

But some states have a huge issue with it. They may have 40+% of reserved sites sit empty while people are calling complaining that they can never get a campsite. When that happens, the state tends to establish rules to minimize those issues.

I don't think anyone is saying ALL campgrounds have the same "must occupy the first night" rule and heavy penalties for no shows. But when more people are getting turned away from a campground than are camping, then these rules level the playing field.

I know with the national forest campgrounds, if its off season or there are other available sites, they won't necessarily forfeit your reservation.

I had a reservation for a campssite. On my way there, the gps gave me bad instructions. I ended up in an area with no cell service or satelite access. It got dark and I didn't trust the gps to get me out of there. I parked next to a small lake for the night. The next day, I got lucky - a federal worker had come out to grade the roads. He gave me directions out (and he confirmed the gps was sending me on an impassible route).

I fully expected my campsite to have been forfeited. I hoped there would be another site available for at least a day or two. When I arrived, my site was still reserved to me. There were also other available sites. So I lucked out. But I wouldn't have been mad if my site was gone. I didn't show on the first day and I didn't call.

Now, I carry paper maps so I can verify the gps or find my own route if the gps goes nuts again.