cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stuckey's

Maynard
Explorer
Explorer
While traveling in my youth (not too long ago) I remember stopping at Stuckey's for snacks and cool souvenirs. I think they also served meals. Stuckey's seems to have disappeared. At least in these parts anyway. However, don't they still exist in the southeastern states, or throughout the plains? We're going to make a loooong road trip in the near future and I'd like to take a little trip down memory lane by making a Stuckey's stop.

2002 Jayco Eagle 264BH
2003 GMC 2500HD D/A CC

15 REPLIES 15

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston,

Thanks for that. I actually remember some of those offerings but I also remember ordering off the big person's menu. The other fun thing was when my Dad and Mom decided to get off the road early on some days so we could go swimming.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill Stuckey was the founder from here in Georgia and a politician as well. He made a lot of money on the then money crop of southern Georgia - pecans.
He got into politics and was in the state congress for several years.

The Stuckey stores were scattered up and down US 441 before I-75 became the route to Florida. As a kid we loved stopping for gas and hoping to get a piece of candy from the abundant choices.

Business went down and the family began selling and leasing the stores. The quality of the tourist attractions went down as the traffic on 441 decreased.

I believe there may be a new store below Fort Valley on I-75 but I don't know if it is a franchise or family owned. Either way, it is a little nostalgic to see something from 60 plus years ago.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dedmiston
Puttin wrote:
Yes, and Howard Johnson's as well....road food at it's finest! Especially if you're a kid!:B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, and Howard Johnson's as well....road food at it's finest! Especially if you're a kid!:B

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There was one just outside my home town and we made frequent trips there. But it closed many years ago. Parking lot is still there but building is long gone.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhhh memories. We stopped at one and ordered sandwiches for lunch. We each got a plate with a regular sandwich cut into 4 quarters. Problem was, there were only 3 quarters of the sandwich and the fourth spot had a few potato chips. We always joked that the cook must have been hungry and ate part of our sandwich after making it. Guess we should have only paid 3/4 of the price. Never went to another one after that experience.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Pet Inc. (makers of Pet Milk) dang near killed them off under their ownership. I believe a memeber of the Stuckey family bought what was left of them back and is still running them, but there arenโ€™t near as many as there once were.

What I remember best is the phrase โ€œSparkling Restrooms!โ€ on their signs. You can guess what kids did with that.

โ€œMama, can we stop? I need to sparkle!โ€

I remember one of the stores on a route we took frequently had a beehive under a glass dome right inside the store.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Discovered Stuckeyโ€™s driving from Southern California to Ft. Benning GA in 1972. Fun place to stop and stretch the legs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dedmiston
gbopp wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I forget what their big promo was. Wasn't it something like "Free pecan nut roll with every tank of gas"?

It was the Pecan Log. I'm sure they are now a bit smaller than what you remember.

Haha. That's probably just as well. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at one in SC in January. I don't remember where exactly. I think it was off of I-95.

lampooner
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Stuckey's at exit 108 on I-95 in South Carolina. It is in an original building with high V shaped roof. They have candy, souvenirs and a Dairy Queen that serves ice cream and sandwiches.
Lampooner

Remember you are only young once,
but you can be immature forever!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
I forget what their big promo was. Wasn't it something like "Free pecan nut roll with every tank of gas"?

It was the Pecan Log. I'm sure they are now a bit smaller than what you remember.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I loved Stuckey's as a kid. They had toys and a pecan candy roll I had to get when we stopped there. I haven't seen an open Stuckey's in decades. There was an abandoned store west of Topeka, KS a few years ago.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230