cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Such a thing as an idyllic CG on the US west coast?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is for the future but am wondering if there is such a thing as a CG that is super quiet, has great scenery, is on/near the water (preferably ocean), has at least power/water at sites, sites aren't cheek to jowl, RVs aren't speeding around the CG, etc... Kinda like what you'd expect in heaven (sans angels with harps flitting about). Can be anywhere from say around San Francisco up to Canada/US border. Might consider BC but prefer the US.

My parents used to have a waterfront cabin on the ocean on a dead-end road near Vancouver (BC). It was in the Straight of Georgia and protected from high winds offshore winds by Vancouver Island.
We spent all summer there every year as a kid, 3+ years in total. No power, tel., water, sewer - no nothing. We swam a lot, beachcombed, had many bonfires on the beach, hiked through the forest, caught lots of salmon & cod, played crokinole for hours on end inside on rainy days, had a pet crow, garter snakes and even a skunk (for a short while), cooked everything on a wood stove and more... In the fall dad took me duck, pigeon and grouse hunting. We lived amid nature with the ocean on one side and the forest on the other. I was privileged to experience that. It's all gone now and there's city style subdivisions there now and it's become a bedroom community for Vancouver for many (despite a ferry ride to get there).

So I was sort of wondering if it's possible to find a place that has at least some of the elements that I came to know so well during my childhood summers. Maybe I'm dreaming and it's not possible nowadays.
16 REPLIES 16

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thx for all the suggestions so far! This morning it occurred to me that the San Juan Islands might have something but will have to do some digging there. I was on Lopez Island there a long time ago and it is very picturesque and laid back.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might take a look at Beachside SP in Oregon.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Wright Beach is small but might work. Not sure about power or water

No power at Wright's Beach
There is something special about camping in an RV.

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
Not in California, but there are a lot of very nice campgrounds in Oregon on the coast that are heavenly!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
If rivers and creeks and lakes work for you, and if you can get a few big batteries and solar panels, you will have a few thousand more options.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Wright Beach is small but might work. Not sure about power or water

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Tillicum Beach CG

Minutes away from the most beautiful place on the West Coast... Cape Perpetua
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mattole Beach on the Lost Coast -- heavenly. No hookups, though. No water. Nothing but fresh air and sand. Terrible drive to get there, which is why it is still so great.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoor resorts, Newport Oregon, Winchester Bay RV Park, Oregon, Turtle Bay RV park, Gold Beach Oregon, there are more.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
You might want to check out all of California's State Beaches.

Being a native Californian who camped at the state beaches for 30 years, I can say that most south of SF, are nearly full year round.
Forget summertime unless you have a bank of computers and a team to hit Reserve America hard and fast.

Only in NorCal will you find state beaches with the atmosphere that the OP is looking for.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Salmon Harbor at Winchester Bay,OR. Sea N Sand near Lincoln City,OR are two private parks.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Can be anywhere from say around San Francisco up to Canada/US border.

Ocean Cove is wide open, but no hook ups. No reservations either.

http://www.oceancove.org/campground.html

And Gold Beach Oregon is supposed to be nice.

https://visitgoldbeach.com/lodging/rv-parks-camping/

Also, Meeks Bay - Tahoe

http://www--meeksbayresort--com.rztrkr.com/rv-tents/
There is something special about camping in an RV.

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
One of our favorite spots is Cannon Beach RV Resort. Cannon Beach Oregon.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a California Native and without a doubt you will not be able to find a piece of "heaven" campground anywhere south of San Francisco all the way to the Mexico border except during the weekdays (non-Holiday week). It is hit or miss whether you will find a quiet campground for more than a couple of days at a time.