This is why we can't have nice things.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
15 REPLIES 15

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
As distasteful as it is, I encourage all of you reasonable people to help by picking up after these idiots. It wonโ€™t solve the problem but maybe it would at least delay action.
I also really, really wish the park service would quit advertising. They run commercials then gripe because parks are overcrowded.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I agree with bgum!
Restricting activities that destroy the BLM, national forests and parks would be a start.
Lottery system would not work for those of us that travel aimlessly around the country with no particular place in mind!

Nor with people like us that live in a small town in the forest. We must drive through National Forest to get to the nearest grocery store.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this fits nicely into my pet peeve, RV'ers who pull the valves as soon as they get out of the campground or onto the gravel road.I've personally seen pigs do this three times, and I'd like to have caught them, but was hooked up, so couldn't leave. I don't understand what people like that are thinking......

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
bgum-I agree with you. Get lost in the wilderness, pay for rescue. Need rescue from a river, pay for the rescue. There are insurance companies that sell coverage for these costs. Buy the coverage or dig in your wallet to come up with the cash. If I am traveling off road and need assistance, I pay for it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
And it has come time for all the idiots that need rescuing to pay for the cost of the rescue. The public should not be responsible for the bad decisions of others.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Everone cheered when the RV industry sales were at record levels after the Great Recession. Now the cheers have faded when the cpnsequence of more people RVing is felt, here, on National lands. The idea of designated campgrounds with for fee sites solves the problem, and I am for it!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy&Lynne wrote:
BLM considering restrictions on dispersed camping on fragile lands in Utah

"This is why some animals eat their young..." -- Roseanne Barr
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Needs to merged with the other thread in here on the same thing and link.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I'm beginning to think the average intellect of the citizens of this country is about zip.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We can't fix stupid.
All we can do is try to regulate it.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
it just takes one bad apple to spoil the entire peck (and produce fruit flies as well). Speaking of apples, I need to get my cider press out so I can squeeze them.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with bgum!
Restricting activities that destroy the BLM, national forests and parks would be a start.
Lottery system would not work for those of us that travel aimlessly around the country with no particular place in mind!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
A few bad apples...

I'd be perfectly OK with all the federal lands to go to a lottery system for access. The idea of federal management is to preserve and protect the land, not turn it into a tourist mecca.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Every person who uses public lands should be required to attend a class on the proper use of the land. And that is every person once per year. Motorized equipment should be restricted to approved trails. Failure to follow the rules should result in banishment for 3 years to life depending on the severity of the violation . No one has the right to destroy our land.