Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: North Rim of the Grand Canyon

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a link to our blog post:

North Rim
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
13 REPLIES 13

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! I had no idea the Rainbow Rim trail had gotten crowded. When we were there in late May of 2008, we didn't see anyone else in three days of riding.

I am not sure I could handle that trail today -- that was 13 years ago, and I was not young at that time!

The portions of the Arizona Trail up on the Kaibab Plateau are fairly easy (although we did have to watch out for roots and rocks). But the parts that drop down off the rim are pretty difficult.
About our trailer

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see someone else has ridden the AZ trail in that area. We rode access roads from camp and did something like 10 miles of singletrack from north of the park boundary. We saw no one else out there all day. But a relatively easy and remote trail. We completed the loop by riding back to AZ 67 and back to DeMotte CG where we were camped.

Not the same kind of views as the Rainbow Rim trail, but definitely less crowded.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Thanks for the kind words! And Mike, you are exactly right -- there is very little colorful fall foliage in Southern California. So that's why we head out in search of aspen groves during the fall.

Maple would be nice, too, but we are three thousand miles away from Vermont!
If you can get to NE Iowa or Minnesota, you should be able to see some great autumn colors. Here's a map showing where maple syrup is obtained from maple trees:

That should cut about a thousand miles off your trip. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the great pictures. N Rim is one of our favorite places.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

Plus there are no aspen trees, so that settles it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

But there is a nice hike down to the river -- if you like steep and treacherous.
Cal

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
North Rim is awesome - we like it better than the South Rim in many ways. Amazing visuals ... and interesting critters.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Your Smokey mascot is great! There is a sticker of Smokey on the Tiger's stove hood. It was given to me by the ranger at a roadblock somewhere in the western Sierra on my first Tiger trip and has remained in position for 15 years so far.

So many aspens.... but a great TR anyway. Thanks for sharing it.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cal, if I recall correctly, there are road signs out that way saying that trailers are not allowed, which excludes me. I could be wrong about that.

Plus there are no aspen trees, so that settles it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Great pictures of one of the great places in the world.
As you know, there are many much more remote spots on the north rim, such as -
Whitmore Point Overlook

(TC barely visible)
Cal

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the kind words! And Mike, you are exactly right -- there is very little colorful fall foliage in Southern California. So that's why we head out in search of aspen groves during the fall.

Maple would be nice, too, but we are three thousand miles away from Vermont!
About our trailer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Once again, a great trip report. It brought back many memories of our trips to the North Rim, much less crowded and way underrated, but that's ok. Glad you were safe from the blowout. Thanks for noting the make of your tires too as an example that no matter the brand, 'that' can happen.

I hope you physically heal from your fall. I did the same and it took a year for my hand that took the blunt, to heal and my shoulder is still feeling it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
nice round of autumn pictures of the north rim of the grand canyon. thanks for sharing.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Who needs bears when those aspens have the two of you "treed"? ๐Ÿ˜‰ Nice photos. I shared the link with my sister who can't get out much due to physical and health issues; she loves to see places like this.

As nice as the autumn aspens look, I can't help wondering if you like aspens so much because you don't have many sugar maples out your way! ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point