cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Treated like a criminal at Sun N Fun

tomcat619
Explorer
Explorer
I have never been treated like this ever before. We have stayed at Sun N Fun in Sarasota 4 or 5 times starting in the late 1970's. We have always seen fishing boats on the sites. In January 2014 I called them to reserve a campsite. I told the lady that took my reservations that I had a boat and needed a site large enough to park my boat. I told her that we had always seen boats on the sites on Tennessee avenue and they are very large. She said she couldn't guarantee me a site on Tennessee but she would be sure I got a 60' premium site that would accommodate my boat.

March 21st we checked in and setup our 5th wheel with our screen room and settled in. 5am the next morning I headed back the 180 miles to pickup my boat at the marina where it was in dry storage. I got to Sarasota about 4pm and parked the boat next to my 5th wheel. About a half hour a person from the park knocked on my door to tell me I couldn't park the boat on the site. He said they had a complaint. I explained I had requested a site specifically that I could park my boat. He said that anyone "Staying over 1 week" had to park out front in the parking lot, which made no sense. I asked him if the lot was secure and he said NO. I told him I couldn't secure my boat and it wasn't leaving my sight. He said the park supervisor would come down to talk to me either the next day or on Monday. We fished the next day, Sunday, and it rained Monday so we stayed in. About 1pm someone showed up at my door saying she was head of park security and the boat had be park in the parking lot. She stated this time they don't allow boats on sites "This time of year". I told her I couldn't secure my boat and explained that I had Requested a site specifically to park the boat. She said the person who made reservation made a mistake. 10 minutes later The park supervisor showed up to say if I didn't remove the boat she wood call the sheriff and the would forcibly remove me, my 5th wheel, and the boat. I told her I couldn't find such a rule about parking boats. She said it didn't matter she could have me removed anyway.

I caved under protest, and took the boat back home 180 miles and returned, packed up my RV and left. A total waste of $400 of fuel, all the work preparing for a vacation, and the $200 for 4 days at Fun N Sun Sarasota!

I was given a booklet with the park rules in it when we checked in and there is no mention of boats on sites or any other things parked on a site. They took my reservation and charged my card the full amount, and that makes it a contract.
60 REPLIES 60

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
This whole thing reminds me of these people that move into neighborhoods with associations and rules which they proceed to break by putting up flags and such and then inevitably scream "unpatriotic" when they get into trouble.
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:
mpierce wrote:
fx2tom wrote:
I think people missed the point of where the WRITTEN rules do not forbid the parking of a boat.

Seems like many, on many issues, want to go here.

I bet there are MANY things that are not allowed, that are not written down.

How about an airplane? A milk cow. A pig. etc. etc. etc.

You can only list the common things. Otherwise, you would have lists of "not allowed" as thick as a bible.

Exactly. At the end of the day, the OP knew it might be an issue so he called ahead. He received bad info which wasn't his fault. He arrived and found himself in a bad situation. The campground tried to work with him in order to stay within their rules and not create a precedent ("well last time I was here I saw someone else with a boat, you are DISCRIMINATING against me...")

The OP wasn't satisfied with his options and decided to leave. He wasn't treated like a criminal, he was held to the same standard to which everyone else is. Mistakes were made, life is tough some time.

It sounds like the campground tried to do the right thing. I've never seen a rule that I can't bring a cannon to the campground with me. I assume that's frowned upon though. Do we really need to spell everything out nowadays?

Where's that "Like" button when you need it!!:B

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to pile on but simple check of craigslist would have shown several secure monthly type storage facilities for boats right in his area with very reasonable rates. Not right outside your door but probably a better alternative to ruining your vacation to show your perceived mis-treatment.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Common sense is a thing of the past as is taking the blame for something you did, it's always someone else's fault.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
mpierce wrote:
fx2tom wrote:
I think people missed the point of where the WRITTEN rules do not forbid the parking of a boat.

You can only list the common things. Otherwise, you would have lists of "not allowed" as thick as a bible.

Exactly. At the end of the day, the OP knew it might be an issue so he called ahead. He received bad info which wasn't his fault. He arrived and found himself in a bad situation. The campground tried to work with him in order to stay within their rules and not create a precedent ("well last time I was here I saw someone else with a boat, you are DISCRIMINATING against me...")

The OP wasn't satisfied with his options and decided to leave. He wasn't treated like a criminal, he was held to the same standard to which everyone else is. Mistakes were made, life is tough some time.

It sounds like the campground tried to do the right thing. I've never seen a rule that I can't bring a cannon to the campground with me. I assume that's frowned upon though. Do we really need to spell everything out nowadays?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
None of it really matters, the OP came here, registered, and made a post bashing a campground. The OP then made a second post providing more explanation and attempting to justify their own viewpoint. They are unlikely to ever be back again unless it is to rant about something else.

I believe that the OP like many before only registered here thinking they would some how harm the campground that they have a beef with.

Wish there were "Like" buttons on here....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
None of it really matters, the OP came here, registered, and made a post bashing a campground. The OP then made a second post providing more explanation and attempting to justify their own viewpoint. They are unlikely to ever be back again unless it is to rant about something else.

I believe that the OP like many before only registered here thinking they would some how harm the campground that they have a beef with.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:

The written rules do not give permission to park a boat either. They probably don't say that I can't bring a horse in there, but I bet they won't allow it.

There are not written rules for a lot of things which you probably aren't allowed to do. Once again, this is a private business. They did not make the OP leave.. He left on his own since he did not like the solution they offered.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

rogerramjet442
Explorer
Explorer
Where did the Good Sam part come in on the original post ? or did i miss it ?
Dodge RAM 2500 SB Quad4x4 2006 5.9 cummins
Jayco Designer 291 RLST
"Katie" the carianPoo

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
wbwood wrote:
bodyshop bob wrote:
wbwood wrote:
It's a private business and they can run their business as hey see fit as they do it within the law. They did nothing illegal. They said the OP couldn't park the boat in the one location but offered another location. Even if he was told before by someone else. They didn't make him leave. He left on his own. And according to their policy online, I believe it said something to the effect of no refunds if you leave early or something. I can't remember exactly as it was a day or so ago when I looked at it. I would be pissed too. But I would need to weigh my options in having to take the boat back and then coming and getting my trailer. I think because of the cost of the gas to do it, the time wasted in doing and ruining my vacation, I would of just parked it in the parking lot they offered.

Actually, Wb, you're wrong. Per the information in the post the OP said he's seen boats on lots before and stated he needed a large lot for his rig and his boat. Such a site was granted to him.
This creates a legally binding condition called estoppel. Once a condition has been agreed to and granted it is illegal to remove that condition at a later date. Feel free to look it up.
I concur that he should immediately contact his credit card provider and dispute the charges.

And you passed the BAR in Florida?
You know it doesn't really matter who knows the law, who has passed the bar, who's a lawyer and who's pretending. It all boils down to whatever the judge says. The thing about judges is, they don't make a decision until they have heard both sides of the story. There is no "Other side" yet in this story. Yet y'all think you know who is right and who is wrong - amazing! I can tell you this, the sheriff won't decide who is right or who is wrong either. All he needs to hear is that the property owner wants the OP to leave; one way or the other he will be leaving.

Kind of my point. I enforce laws (Federal LEO). But only the laws I am sworn to enforce. I do not practice law, nor do I pretend to. I do know, as you stated, there's always 3 sides to the story. The property owner did not make the OP leave. The OP left on his own. They gave him an option about the boat, which he did not like nor agree to. That's on him. And as someone else mentioned, get it in writing. Hearsay is just that. The OP will say that the lady on the phone told him yes. If they could ever figure out who the "lady" is, she would probably say no, I didn't say that. It's going to be word against word. Good luck on it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
Someone complained? Let me tell ya about COMPLAINTS!

About 10 years ago I went to the local oyster bar and had a really good cigar. I asked the head waiter if smoking cigars was allowed in bar and he said "Certainly". I went into the bar and the waiter lit my cigar for me. I ordered a dozen oysters on the half shell and a cold beer. Then the waitress came up to me and said that "smoking isn't allowed". I explained what had just happened. Next thing I know the manager told me "that someone had complained" and I had to stop smoking or leave.

Well I took a couple of swigs from the expensive beer and walked out. The manager had the temerity to ask me about paying for the beer and I just glared and told my cigar cost twice what the beer cost.

I walked out and never went back. The place closed and was replaced with another restaurant.

COMPLAINTS... yah
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Veebyes wrote:
Never been anywhere near Sarasota so don't have a clue about the CG but why, besides the CGs side, do I feel like something is missing in this story?

That's my thought too.

It seems disporporionately heavy handed to be calling the cops unless there is more to the story.

Maybe it's exactly as described but I'd be willing to bet that we got at least a partially edited version of events.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV