cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report: boondocking (good) & meteor show (not great)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent several pleasant days of boondocking and hiking in the Eastern Sierra, hoping to see the Perseid meteor shower. As it turned out, the meteors were a bit of a bust, due to smoke from forest fires in the Western Sierra. But DW managed to capture a great recording of some howling coyotes โ€“ the video clip is in this blog post:

Meteor trip

We were hoping to take some pictures of the meteors, but my camera died suddenly and spectacularly the day before the meteor shower. So this is the only picture that I took that captured a meteor, and it was by accident โ€“ the meteor is the little yellow streak at the left of center, just above the horizon:

I have now replaced my camera, so I am hoping that there will be another year, and another meteor shower.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
7 REPLIES 7

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
beautiful shot. I thought the shower was last week and thought I was just getting lucky seeing more than usual shooting stars. Most of the time the smoke really hazed things out so I wouldn't have set up the gear unless I thought I could get a milky way shot. ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We camphost in Virginia, about 25 miles from home, during August each year. We are about 30-40 miles from the nearest small city, so we have little to no light pollution. The shower this year was better than last year, but not nearly as good as two years ago.

I sat outside most of the night for 4 nights, coming in when I got cool, but then smartened up and put on a jacket and took a throw to put over my legs. I would doze, then wake up and see some meteors, then sleep a little more. I would come in about 3 or 4 am and sleep for a few hours.

In 2016, the evening of August 12 into the morning of August 13 will be the peak viewing time after the moon sets around midnight.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:
The one time that they were right was the '91 total eclipse down in southern Baja:

LS

I missed that one but I have no intention of missing the 2017 Solar Eclipse......

Total Solar Eclipse 2017
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Len, this shower would not have been such a bust, except for the smoke. Even with hazy skies, we still were able to see about 20 decent meteors per hour. So the predictions were reasonably on target. But I could not find anywhere in the Western US without either smoke or monsoonal clouds.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome photo.

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
I learned long ago that 99% of the time when the press uses superlatives for upcoming astronomical events they are a bust. I didn't even bother to go out to check the Perseids. The one time that they were right was the '91 total eclipse down in southern Baja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhpToLX6KQ

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Proof that even "not perfect" trips can still be wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed