cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip suggestions Ajo Az. and beyond.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of doing a winter trip to S. Az. and S. NM. strictly boondocking and quad riding. Any reccomadations? Planing on Quartzite, Alamo lake, then ??? Want to stay in warmest areas if possible. Ajo area then where ?
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
9 REPLIES 9

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very familiar with all the places you mentioned. Been boondocking and off road in for 50 yrs and I live in the desert. Just at going someplace new.Will be in Utah early spring.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from Parker, AZ. BLM camping & ATV trails everywhere. If you can't find a trail there, you ain't looking.

Now when the weather warms up, Utah is the place to bring your ATV too. Starts at around Kanab, goes north all the way up to the Marysville area, and points north. The Piute Trail System has 2400+ miles of trails. There's BLM areas but not many. You probably need to call the BLM agent in Kanab for more info.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I've talked with a friend who's wintered in the Ajo/Why area and he's a wealth of knowledge. I knew he was good for something.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 86 is a fine road through the res. Mostly Border Patrol traffic. I often take this road. There is one fuel station about midway.

Darby Wells Rd. is south of Ajo, north of Organ Pipe. You would have to find out from BLM if ORVs are allowed. They're pretty fussy about their desert down there.

A popular ORV area is off I-8 into CA just west of Yuma and north of Los Algodones, MX.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked here: https://azstateparks.com/where-to-ride It says State Parks but includes BLM and FS areas. Looks like NE of Yuma looks good for what you may be looking for.
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 86 is Indian reservation.

You could go over to the Roosevelt Lake area east of Apache Junction.

Southern New Mexico isn't that warm in winter.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I don't do Campgrounds unless I need to dump/shower. Spent Xmas at Organ Pipe NM and it is mild and nice but not good for ORV riding. Where is Darby Wells rd? Does anybody know highway 86 that goes to Tucson? What's it like and is it OHV friendly, trails and such?

xtech
Explorer
Explorer
Coyote Howls campground at Why, AZ is good, never full, cheap and uncrowded, water and dump onsite.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Organ Pipe National Monument has a beautiful campground and there is a lot of boondocking just north of the Park. I have boondocked on BLM land a few miles out on Darby Wells Rd.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8