cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walowa-Whitman national forest--Hell's Canyon

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Is this near the Hell's Canyon area? If not, what area is in it or close to it?
Is Hell's canyon area worth visiting?
8 REPLIES 8

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at Hell's Canyon and we really couldn't see anything from the overlook down a long 2 lane windy road. Best way is by boat. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it from the road.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for a place to stay coming up out of the Gorge, Boardman Marina County Park is a nice place to stop. From the freeway, it doesn't look like there is anything at Boardman but a gas station, but the park right on the river is a pleasant surprise. They do take reservations.

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Am going from Columbia River gorge area to Glacier. Will probably not go there.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
We lived close to Hell's Canyon in the Wallow Mountains. I'd say, no it's really not a destination place. It's dry, desolate and not really all that pretty. I've done the boat trips from Lewiston and while it's interesting I've been on a lot more fun and scenic jet boat rides. The Wallowa's are another story. They are beautiful, Wallowa Lake is gorgeous and Wallow State Park is a gem.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Hells Canyon of the Snake River is the deepest gorge in the USA, you can take boat tours headquartered out of Lewiston ID, Hells Gate SP is a fine place to spend some time. South and west of Lewiston are Enterprise and Joseph OR, a nice SP is located just a few miles from Joseph; quite scenic around there.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I saw some pictures of Wallowa a couple years ago in a magazine, and it made me want to go there. Looks really inviting. If you're going in that direction, I'd say stop in there and see the sights.

Hell's Canyon... meh. Doesn't look exceptional to me from the photos.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Depends. Is this a destination trip? If so, I'd say skip it. If you're going to other areas around Hell's Canyon then yes, take the boat ride up the river to say you've been there. Hell's Canyon is very desolate, dry and HOT in the summer if you were planning to do any hiking. The national forest areas of Wallowa are much cooler.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Wallowa-Whitman is adjacent to Hells Canyon on the Oregon Side.

MAP

Hells Canyon

This may be of interest
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74