cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washington, DC Museums Slowly Re-Opening

The National Gallery of Art is currently the only museum open on the National Mall, though limited to the West Building Galleries.

The National Zoo (DC) and Air & Space Udvar-Hazy Center (VA) are scheduled to re-open to the public beginning this Friday, July 24. All three museums are free admission to the public though now require timed entrance tickets available on their websites. In particular, the National Zoo and Udvar-Hazy were the first selected to open due to exhibits being either primarily outdoors, or in large indoor spaces.

National Air&Space Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport, Chantilly, VA

There is a reduced $10. charge for car parking at Udvar-Hazy, which now uses a typical airport type system of paying for parking at a kiosk upon leaving the museum. Check in advance if RV parking is available at this time? Though normally there is ample bus parking? The National Zoo also charges for parking, though there is Metro Red-Line subway access nearby.

A shrink-wrapped SR-71 Blackbird? Not really?

Some aircraft may still be covered, which appears the result of roofing work during the extended shutdown, as there are also a few covered walkways? Though may be uncovered by the time of public re-opening?

Discovery looking particularly lonely with no visitors in months?

You can get so close up to some exhibits that you could almost touch it? But, please don't.

Exhibit area which includes Air France Concorde and Boeing B-29 Superfortress 'Enola Gay'

Air&Space Udvar-Hazy Center remains one of my favorite museum destinations in the DC area. I was here on opening day, though regret not visiting more often? The fact that it has direct run-way access to Dulles Airport, allows for visiting aircraft exhibits from the flight line area. A plus for any museum?

Other museums on the National Mall may begin re-opening during the last week in August 2020.

12 REPLIES 12

I'll definitely have to visit the The National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB. Their website indicates that they are now open? I notice that the museum has a Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor, hopefully still on display? Udvar-Hazy also has an F-22 though believe its an experimental version used during development? I'm thinking very few museums if any others have F-22 on display, though basically non-flying shells with simulated cockpit layouts? As I'm guessing real in service Raptor cockpits are classified?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
And if you are travelling, make a point of the big Air Force museum at Dulles, again, plan at least two days.

I believe you meant to type Dayton, Ohio, for the Air Force museum. I really should get there sometime; it's not unreasonably far from me, as such things go.

bobsallyh wrote:
I don't know if they still give tours of the restoration and storage facility off the I-495 Beltway but if they do, it is a must see.

I don't believe they do as much of the work is now shifted to the Udvar-Hazy Center.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We have visited all three museums several times, and see something different or more each time. Plan at least two days for the facility out a Dulles, one day for a walk around, one day to examine more closely. And if you are travelling, make a point of the big Air Force museum at Dulles, again, plan at least two days. And, if you can make it, the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola is another must do. Although not as big as the other two, it presents another side of aviation not seen at the other two. And if you are at the right times, you can also get to see the Blue Angels in practice.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Yes, delwhjr is the winner! A Republic P-47D Thunderbolt. You definitely didn't want to see this bearing down on you with eight 50 caliber machine guns?

My favorite is still the North American P-51D Mustang, which is on display at Udvar-Hazy and has been on the flight line during fly-in exhibitions in the past. The last P-51D pilot as I recall, tipping his wings at the assembled crowd as he departed Dulles Airport.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if they still give tours of the restoration and storage facility off the I-495 Beltway but if they do, it is a must see. A group of us went thru twice during the time when they were restoring the Enola Gay. Just outstanding and of course the name of the facility escapes me at the moment. They were just getting ready to open the new museum out at Dulles as we left Penna. to go fulltime. The museums and many other buildings are just great to visit. Washington is a very unique city. We lived about 90 miles out of D. C. and went there many times.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think delwhjr is the winner.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
P47 Thunderbolt?
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Considered one of the best WWII fighter/bombers?

Anyone want to take a guess what WWII fighter aircraft this is? Flanked by the B-29 Superfortress Enola Gay?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, thank you.

I believe it's a Boeing 307 Stratoliner.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What's the large 4 engine tail dragger in the lower right of the 3rd picture?