cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happened to the cell service in Yosemite?

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 2004, we had to go to the pay phones at the valley campgrounds to check daily on my DW's mother. In 2006, we bought a Wilson cell booster and were able to get limited service on AT&T. By 2009, we were able to get limited service on Verizon and 2013 we were getting data too. We could make and receive calls on our Verizon cellphones, get email and slow internet service.
Now, with iPhones, we can't use it at all during the day and evening. We were able to make 2 calls that actually got thru over the 4 day period trying very early in the morning. Texting worked but was delayed 2-4 hours to get delivered. No internet at all.
Is it because we are using Verizon and Iphone 4 and 5C (no Wilson booster for new phones)? It was showing 3 bars and calls failed. I switched off my LTE setting and eventually set it on Airplane mode as it drained the battery very quickly searching.
Do we need to switch back to AT&T or another carrier or get a new booster to handle the iPhones?
Also, they have removed most of the phones because everyone has a cellphone. I hope 911 works there for emergencies.
8 REPLIES 8

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe there are 1-2 towers serving the entire park. We have friends there now who need the data to work and as a result have switched their hours to operate from 1am-5am in order to get service. Too many people trying to use limited bandwidth. During the off-season there was a lot of talk about improving things but the environmentalists are fighting it heavily.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
Back in 2004, we had to go to the pay phones at the valley campgrounds to check daily on my DW's mother. In 2006, we bought a Wilson cell booster and were able to get limited service on AT&T. By 2009, we were able to get limited service on Verizon and 2013 we were getting data too. We could make and receive calls on our Verizon cellphones, get email and slow internet service.
Now, with iPhones, we can't use it at all during the day and evening. We were able to make 2 calls that actually got thru over the 4 day period trying very early in the morning. Texting worked but was delayed 2-4 hours to get delivered. No internet at all.
Is it because we are using Verizon and Iphone 4 and 5C (no Wilson booster for new phones)? It was showing 3 bars and calls failed. I switched off my LTE setting and eventually set it on Airplane mode as it drained the battery very quickly searching.
Do we need to switch back to AT&T or another carrier or get a new booster to handle the iPhones?
Also, they have removed most of the phones because everyone has a cellphone. I hope 911 works there for emergencies.

Is there a reason your original Wilson can't work with the Iphone? Was your old phone a hard connection to the booster? Can you upgrade the inside antenna to a modern proximity type? If not, the Wilson Sleek is still affordable. They did change their name to Weboost. Anything with the Weboost name will be more expensive. I have loaned my booster to various Iphone users. No complaints.

Network congestion is just bad.

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
My DW's is 3G and mine is 4G. Neither of us could get much service in Lower Pines CG or anywhere else in the valley. Big difference in park attendance between March and mid-July. Over taxed the system?

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Sagecoachdriver wrote:
I would think they want to keep the service very localized. So many people would be walking around looking at their cellphones and not watching where they are going. I can't imagine hikers climbing up or down trails and texting. It would be like a drunk driving a car. The incidents of injury or death would climb tremendously. They should just make it better at the Curry Village, the main village and visitor center and Yosemite Lodge. I'm sure the Ahwanhnee hotel has service for their patrons considering the price of a room.

In my opinion this has nothing to do with.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in March. My wife has Verizon, I have ATT. The Verizon was awesome all over the valley. ATT was just OK, and once you got away from the Village, was lousy. Maybe during the summer months the demand on the system is so high that it slows everything down.

You can also try and use the internet at the hotel.
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I would think they want to keep the service very localized. So many people would be walking around looking at their cellphones and not watching where they are going. I can't imagine hikers climbing up or down trails and texting. It would be like a drunk driving a car. The incidents of injury or death would climb tremendously. They should just make it better at the Curry Village, the main village and visitor center and Yosemite Lodge. I'm sure the Ahwanhnee hotel has service for their patrons considering the price of a room.

CManley
Explorer
Explorer
Seems the coverage is best near/in Yosemite Village. Data/Internet really only works very early in the morning before the populous awakes and is also best near Yosemite Village.

Now that I said that I will see throngs of people standing in the village at 6 am phone in hand scrolling.
2015 303 RLS GD Reflection, 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax

[url=]

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
Until recently Yosemite was served by Golden State Cellular and they tried hard to maintain a quality system. Unfortunately they sold out to Verizon last year and the system has really degraded. That and all 4 million visitors seem to have cell phones and expect the same coverage in Yosemite that they have in the city so they can watch youtube and stream movies.