cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your Boondocking Temperature?

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Boondocking in the El Paso Mountains outside of Ridgecrest, CA. lots of sun and only supposed to be 107 degrees today- but it is a dry heat. I have found one small gully with shallow bedrock and a goodly amount of Gold. 1.5 oz. for the two weeks I have been working this bedrock. I work it from about 5am to around 11am, then its TTS Time (Tacos, Tequila, and Siesta).
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out
13 REPLIES 13

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Try to keep it to 85 and below in dry air. Above that I'll start generator and run AC. Elevation is friend. What I'm also looking for is someplace which cools off enough at night not to need the AC. High enough elevation or a valley where cool air pools at night.

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
I know exactly where you are at. I've camped in Jawbone in July, parked the trailer near the west wall of a canyon so I was in the shade after 3PM. Not bad, but still needed the AC for awhile.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My boondocking (and commercial camping) temperature is 98.6F unless perchance I've fallen ill. :B

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Prospector wrote:
I'm Boondocking in the El Paso Mountains outside of Ridgecrest, CA. lots of sun and only supposed to be 107 degrees today- but it is a dry heat. I have found one small gully with shallow bedrock and a goodly amount of Gold. 1.5 oz. for the two weeks I have been working this bedrock. I work it from about 5am to around 11am, then its TTS Time (Tacos, Tequila, and Siesta).

I thought you were headed for the Mogollon Rim, what happened?

Wasn't Big Foot mentioned as well? .....;)
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

MrWizard
if i can't be where its cooler, then its generator and A/C

at 100 plus i just sit inside, only go out for the fur kids or to add gas to the generator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We turn the gen on in the high 80s, just gets too hot in the MH without a lot of shade and/or breeze. Outside is fine to 100.

rocmoc n AZ/Fld/Baja
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
If there's a breeze in the 80's if not A/C required.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Gets much above 80 and we look for more altitude.

I'm with scrubjay on this one.
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Gets much above 80 and we look for more altitude.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Careful, you'll start another gold rush. 🙂
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
No generators. I would be moving like cewillis.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Anything 100 and over is pretty much my limit. That means my generators are running all day.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
At least 112 the first day I was out last time -- then I went up to 8, 9, 10,000 feet in the mountains.
Cal