cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where to find ideal summer climate in USA?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd pick the brains of all you seasoned travelers. :B

My idea of an ideal climate includes:
high temps 85 degrees or less
overnight temps 50 or higher
mostly sunny weather
not many mosquitos or biting flies

What places in continental US do you know of that come closest to this ideal during June through August?

Edit: I should add, not overly humid. Let's say 55% humidity or less.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point
48 REPLIES 48

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
rex, that's an unbearable story.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
That reminds me of a joke... a grizzly bear wandered into a huge cabinetry factory and fell into a vat of varnish.

It was a grizzly end... but a beautiful finish.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
That'll be fun!! On the OP's list of desired characteristics for summer camping, we could add "grizzlies few and far between." I have hiked in grizzly country -- it is exciting but not very relaxing.
About our trailer

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
The mosquitoes weren't too bad in late summer, and the bears weren't grizzlies. (They ran away when we made noise.)

Yes, they were black bears but grizzlies will be reintroduced into the North Cascades probably in a more remote area than where you were.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mosquitoes weren't too bad in late summer, and the bears weren't grizzlies. (They ran away when we made noise.)
About our trailer

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
And don't forget that this is berry season in Western Washington -- tons of huge delicious blackberries everywhere, like weeds. (Bring leather gloves for the thorns.) Huckleberries and wild mountain blueberries at the higher elevations. Bring a small plastic bag to sit on -- otherwise the seat of your pants will look like this:

Click For Full-Size Image.

I am pretty sure (but not positive) that that is Mt. Shuksan in the background; we were in the Mt. Baker area when this shot was taken.

Yes, that is Mt. Shuksan. There will be mosquitos and bears.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. She has been tolerant of my bad jokes for 44 years!
About our trailer

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I should add that the mountain blueberries grow very close to the ground. So instead of bending over to pick them, we sit on the ground. But the ground is covered with berries . . . .

After I took that shot, I told DW that she looked like a cup of unstirred yogurt. She said, "What??" I answered, "Yep. Fruit on the bottom!"

If she didn't slap you upside the head, you're lucky! ๐Ÿ˜„
Mike G.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
jplante4 wrote:
The trouble is that if that place exists, it would be so crowded that you wouldn't want to live there. The DW loved Cape Cod when she summered here as a kid. We moved here 20 years ago and we are prisoners in our neighborhood on the weekends.

Be careful what you wish for. If I lived in that place, I wouldn't tell anyone.

Times three !!! Cape Cod, best summers, but so crowded you cannot move sideways.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should add that the mountain blueberries grow very close to the ground. So instead of bending over to pick them, we sit on the ground. But the ground is covered with berries . . . .

After I took that shot, I told DW that she looked like a cup of unstirred yogurt. She said, "What??" I answered, "Yep. Fruit on the bottom!"
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
And don't forget that this is berry season in Western Washington -- tons of huge delicious blackberries everywhere, like weeds. (Bring leather gloves for the thorns.) Huckleberries and wild mountain blueberries at the higher elevations. Bring a small plastic bag to sit on -- otherwise the seat of your pants will look like this:

Click For Full-Size Image.

I am pretty sure (but not positive) that that is Mt. Shuksan in the background; we were in the Mt. Baker area when this shot was taken.
About our trailer

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
The skinny Puget Sound corridor in Western Washington between Olympia and the Canadian border. The only problem is traffic and urban sprawl. July and August arel awesome with temps in the 70's, sometimes 80's, rarely 90's. Always that way when the rest of country is burning up.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
WISCONSIN hands down!

Lake Geneva, Door County. Just about anywhere in the southern part of the state.

I find this to be pretty funny. Right now I am sitting in Baraboo WI and it is currently 95 degrees outside and the humidity is high.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just returned from to corners of TN, VA, NC & KY. Blue Ridge Parkway and all, and the weather was great. Mid to low 80's during the day and into the 50's at night. Return to the midwest and the low is in the 80's.
Just a thought.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!