cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Williamsburg, VA

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife & I are thinking of going to Williamsburg in June in our 26'RV with a double bike rake, on our way to Hatteras Island. What can we do and see for a quick tour? Parking is my main concern. We're into history some, but really don't care what brand eye liner Betsey Ross used nor the color of George Washington's pantaloons. Just basic knowledge and little know facts of importance.
I guess what I'm asking, is it worth the stop for an afternoon or so?

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
12 REPLIES 12

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skip VA Beach. In June the nearest parking for a 26' rig is in Richmond.
Puma 30RKSS

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Cheatham Annex is quiet. Not much else can be said beyond good Goose and Killdeer viewing. It's close to Yorktown Battlefield, and Williamsburg, but thats about it. I grew up in Va Beach, so I'm a little jaded.

i dont see much to it anymore.

People in Virginia tend to go to North Carolina and South Carolina anymore, better beaches and less commercial.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were looking at Cheatham Annex/Yorktown Naval Weapons Station FamCamp for a night then a full day in Williamsburg before heading to Hatteras. Any pros or cons on this.
Is Virginia Beach worth a drive through?

thanks again
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dad was stationed there 59-62 which meant that I was too. Back then it was a sleepy little backwater. Today it is some of the most crowded real estate on the planet once the tourists come to visit. If you decide to go I would rent a car for a day or 2. The Newport News park is great, another idea would be Chippokes State Park just across the James river from Jamestown in Surry VA. The ferry is free but does have a height restriction of 12'6" if you decide to take the RV into Williamsburg.
Puma 30RKSS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We had an awesome experience at American Heritage. It was probably around 15 years ago now, but we were camping in 100 degree heat. Our assigned spot had no shade and when I joked about being a "pasty white Yankee" they immediately moved us to a shaded premium spot at no extra charge. The staff was extremely professional and very nice.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Garmp, doing a tour like your suggesting, and knowing you dont take a towed, stay either in Williamsburg at American Heritage which is only a couple of miles away from Coloinal Williamsburg. Or go into Newport News park which is about 15 or 20 miles east. NN is a really nice city run park, with great bike paths. Easy access while you are there to also visit Jamestown, Yorktown and Langley AFB. Give the area a day or two and rent a car to see it all.
After that hit Hatteras, but give yourself an extra day or two to go another few miles south to Ocracoke Island, and you will get to take the rv on a 40 minute ferry ride to get there.
[img][/img]
Goof getting his sea legs

Ocracoke is a wonderful little island village, A bike or the tram (Golf cart train) lets you explore everything easily.
Teeters or Jernimans
will both work, and the free tram passes both.
Ocracoke Campground (National Park Service) is also on the island a couple of miles north of the village area.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
williamsburg ?????????

For some reason I read that as DC! Go figure LOL.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You're likely to see and do more in a short visit to Colonial Williamsburg than you will see and do in a extended visit to Hatteras Island. Just don't use the Clark Griswold method of touring. Go and enjoy.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
We spent several days doing Colonial Williamsburg. I forget name of RV park we stayed at but it was short drive to the Colonial Williamsburg main parking area. We drove of 24ft class C each day and parked in lot that was mostly for tour buses. We never have an issue parking but was a little longer hike to attractions than main lots. The history part you'll see if much more hands-on interpretation of the history...not just seeing/reading/hearing about it.

EDIT - just looked at parking on Google Maps. The lot we used is actually across the Visitor Center Rd from the tour bus lot.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Colonial Williamsburg easily fills a day, tours and demonstrations take time. Newport News park is about 20 miles away and is a great stopping point

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Not if you are going to try and park an RV in there. You can park at some of the metro stations outside DC but if you don't get there early your chances of a spot are slim. In just an afternoon you won't see diddly-squat but if you go I'd target a museum of displays that would be of interest to you, or the zoo.

williamsburg ?????????

bumpy

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Not if you are going to try and park an RV in there. You can park at some of the metro stations outside DC but if you don't get there early your chances of a spot are slim. In just an afternoon you won't see diddly-squat but if you go I'd target a museum of displays that would be of interest to you, or the zoo.

Douglas Adams