cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wondering how many Canadians cancelling trip south

joegray
Explorer
Explorer
With the Canadian dollar at current low levels, just wondering how many people are changing plans or not heading south this year?
51 REPLIES 51

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
BarbaraOK wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
LOL...Tequila.

At 65 a US person doesn't get free health coverage. Just up to an amount the government will pay, anything over is our responsibility. Last winter was a park benefit for someone that was going broke with physical therapy that wasn't covered. We also do not get assisted living beyond a month, after that it's our cost . Of course we can buy insurance to cover the gap for both.

I guess your and mine Medicare are different. Once Medicare approves a charge, they pay 80% and then the patient pays the other 20% or their supplemental insurance pays that. You never pay more than the 20% of what Medicare determines is the appropriate fee, no matter what the original charge was, assuming that you are going to a physician/hospital that accepts Medicare patients.

Or am I missing something?

Barb

What you are stating is what is known as "consignment." A doctor does not have to follow those rate structures. They can charge whatever they want and the person will have to come up with the rest. I'm guessing you have extra insurance. Next time you go into the hospital ask only for SS "consignment" rates and see how far you get.
Many people do not understand the consignment concept, but yes it is what it is. If a medical professional "agrees" to accept the Medicare rate, then they can charge up to 115% of the agreed rate and you are responsible for the overage and Medicare will only pay 80% of the agreed rate, not the 115%. Some and I emphasize SOME of the supplement carriers will pay the overage, but not all. I have been caught in this consignment trap twice, so I know just how it works. I have a current bill for $52.40 that is the 115% over charge and I have to pay it.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
LOL...Tequila.

At 65 a US person doesn't get free health coverage. Just up to an amount the government will pay, anything over is our responsibility. Last winter was a park benefit for someone that was going broke with physical therapy that wasn't covered. We also do not get assisted living beyond a month, after that it's our cost . Of course we can buy insurance to cover the gap for both.

I guess your and mine Medicare are different. Once Medicare approves a charge, they pay 80% and then the patient pays the other 20% or their supplemental insurance pays that. You never pay more than the 20% of what Medicare determines is the appropriate fee, no matter what the original charge was, assuming that you are going to a physician/hospital that accepts Medicare patients.

Barb

What you are stating is what is known as "consignment." A doctor does not have to follow those rate structures. They can charge whatever they want and the person will have to come up with the rest. I'm guessing you have extra insurance. Next time you go into the hospital ask only for SS "consignment" rates and see how far you get.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Elizabeth24 wrote:
Dairy products, beer and chicken are much cheaper in the US
Beer is certainly cheep in USA but dairy and chicken have climbed to CDN prices.

We were surprised at the prices for vegies in Palm Springs last year. Something like a red pepper is twice as much there as it is on our home town in BC. Now wine, thats another story. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Elizabeth24 wrote:
Dairy products, beer and chicken are much cheaper in the US
Beer is certainly cheep in USA but dairy and chicken have climbed to CDN prices.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
LOL...Tequila.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Volunteering or working for your rent in the USA is strictly illegal. I think can get permission to volunteer for non profits. If you get caught working that will be the last time you ever cross the border. There are other concerns. What would happen if you were injured "on the job"? Workers Comp would not cover you and your travel health insurance would be void. Bad idea!

Moisheh

Elizabeth24
Explorer
Explorer
Providing we can get insurance at a reasonable cost we will still be going but will be buying far less stuff in the US. Plan on bringing as much food and other things like cleaning products that we can legally bring. With our dollar down and the sales tax (approx 10% in Yuma vs 5% GST in Calgary) I think that we will come out about even. Dairy products, beer and chicken are much cheaper in the US so I don't think that our food budget will increase from what it is in AB. Our park fees are very reasonable and have not increased in a number of years other than the difference in exchange rates.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
"Canadians enjoy free medical care all their lives". Nothing is free. While my wife worked in the medical field for many years she often commented about how many Canadians visited the good old USA for health care. Anyway, back to the subject. Dont go and get cheap now, I'm old, you may be old and the window is only open for so long. Get back down here to visit again and enjoy warmer weather. ๐Ÿ™‚

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
LOL...Tequila.

Just a few notes. There is a person in our park that does the Bingo thing twice a week. There really is more too it then what it sounds, but the point is the park picks up the tab for his stay. Question is whether or not he has to (should) report it to the US.

Last but not least is the US Virgin Islands. We got them, but a simple house starts at half a million. Great place to visit, but no-one can retire there unless you're Daddy got rocks. Which reminds me, we met a lot of Canadian snowbirds in Aruba a few years back. Might be an option.

deewhite0612
Explorer
Explorer
We are going. Not going to buy too much when we are down there and will boondocking as much as possible.
Michael and Daryl (Dee)
2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3778
2008 Saturn Vue XR V6
Blue Ox Alladin
Brake Buddy Classic

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Many of our Canadian neighbors/friends who aren't on this forum bought US Dollars when the Loony was strong. That will help them out now that the exchange rate is so bad. Sooner or later those US dollars will run out.

Very interesting statement about paying health insurance premiums in Canadian dollars but benefits in US dollars that make a ton of sense how that will not work in the long run. Guessing those that did not have their premiums go up are still young enough where the insurance underwriters' don't view them as a high risk. That will change as they age I'm guessing.

I'm thinking that the long term snowbirds will start to shrink. Coming down for a couple of months is not so hard on the pocketbook as it would be for six months.

We talked about going into our line of credit for 50 grand to buy US dollars when the Can dollar was at $1.10, but we thought the interest we would have to pay would eat up the benefit. Of course i thought maybe it would drop to maybe 95 cents, not 75. Nobody ever predicted the price of oil woudl go down to $40.

I lead a Mexican RV Caravan in the Fall with my sister. My wife enjoys 2 months alone without having to clean up after me. I do not get paid, but they pay most of my expenses, including fuel, tolls & insurance from Vancouver on. Trouble is my wife, who wants to go down for 4 months in Spring, does not have the personality to lead a caravan. If she does not like someone, they know it in 5 minutes, tops. My sister, on the other hand would get along with Saddam Hussein. Too bad or I would get my entire winter covered. I still get break on some RV parks who appreciate the business I bring them, but that is minor. If it gets any more expensive, my wife is going to have to suck it up. At least I get my insurance covered for the whole year.

That brings up a point, it may be possible for Canadians to work, like in an RV park, in exchange for a free or subsidized stay with no money changing hands.

65 is when Americans & Canadians switch places. Canadians enjoy free medical care all their lives, but it won't pay enough to cover the expensive US medical system. So they have to spend a few thousand dollars on insurance. On the other hand Americans get free medicare after 65 (Isn't that the case?) which will cover the expensive US medical costs. The cost of medical care in the US is about 10 times that of Canada and our system will only pay up to what it would cost in Canada. That may cover you in Mexico, but not in the US.

The other thing is, RVing is expensive. Something always breaks on an expensive truck or RV sooner or later.

I still curse our government back in the 70's for not annexing the Turks & Caicos islands like they wanted. If we had, we would have a warm place to go in winter that was still part of Canada.

Most Canadians can no longer afford to Snowbird after 75. Both my wife & I have pensions we can live off. When our OAS & CPP kick in at 65, the intent is for that to cover our Dental and travel insurance, no matter how much we have to pay.

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
We are still going south and the way I look at it. If we used to pay 10,000.00 for the winter. (just a number). Then it will cost 13,000.00 to do the same thing. That 3000.00 is worth every penny to be out of the snow for 5-6 months. JMHO
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

CardinalRule
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
We're going to do our usual 4 months but we have our eyeballs on the $$. Lower fuel prices won't compensate for increased everything else but it's still better than spending the winter in Canada.

The big difference for us is that we're not going to be buying lots of 'stuff' other than the essentials. I've always taken advantage of lower prices on electronics, rv stuff, etc. - we just won't be buying any of that 'stuff' this winter.

And we are taking more "stuff" with use rather than buy when we get south. Stuff like coffee, water filters, oil & filters, etc. etc. etc. Every bit helps offset the low buck.
Dave

I RV, I Golf - Therefore I Am.

2016 Acura MDX (No More Truck ๐Ÿ˜ž )
Perminent on site 05 Cardinal 36TS

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We're going to do our usual 4 months but we have our eyeballs on the $$. Lower fuel prices won't compensate for increased everything else but it's still better than spending the winter in Canada.

The big difference for us is that we're not going to be buying lots of 'stuff' other than the essentials. I've always taken advantage of lower prices on electronics, rv stuff, etc. - we just won't be buying any of that 'stuff' this winter.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Many of our Canadian neighbors/friends who aren't on this forum bought US Dollars when the Loony was strong. That will help them out now that the exchange rate is so bad. Sooner or later those US dollars will run out.

Very interesting statement about paying health insurance premiums in Canadian dollars but benefits in US dollars that make a ton of sense how that will not work in the long run. Guessing those that did not have their premiums go up are still young enough where the insurance underwriters' don't view them as a high risk. That will change as they age I'm guessing.

I'm thinking that the long term snowbirds will start to shrink. Coming down for a couple of months is not so hard on the pocketbook as it would be for six months.