cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YNP to add cell phone access at Canyon Village

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Cam Sholly has promised better wireless internet access in the park without towers blocking the view to the park’s famous landscape. The park is seeking public comment on a proposal from a private company, AccessParks, to install up to 484 small (10 by 10 inch, or 7-inch diameter) antennas on employee housing and visitor lodging facilities at Canyon Village, Grant Village, Lake Village, Mammoth Hot Springs and Old Faithful. Several dozen other antennas of various sizes would also be required to link to internet providers outside the park without building additional towers. The deadline to comment on the proposal is Friday, Nov. 29. For more information and to comment click here. From powelltribune.com.

Campground Chatter
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
12 REPLIES 12

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
A good rule of thumb should be that new towers/antennas should be fine in the village locations like Old Faithful, Grant, Canyon, Fishing Bridge where there are existing buildings/parking lots

But not in the campgrounds or anywhere else pristine.
Visted via RV

dedmiston
Please keep it friendly, whether you agree or disagree.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Improved cell phone service would certainly make it easier to report "bad behaviour" to the NPS Rangers. I'm sure many of the vids that have made it here and on YouTube were in locations that may have had poor/spotty service and/or minimal Ranger presence. Personally, don't care about internet service in any of the National Parks.

Then you won't care about this either. It's broadband wifi, not cell phone service.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Improved cell phone service would certainly make it easier to report "bad behaviour" to the NPS Rangers. I'm sure many of the vids that have made it here and on YouTube were in locations that may have had poor/spotty service and/or minimal Ranger presence. Personally, don't care about internet service in any of the National Parks.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A quick search shows this company got started providing broadband wifi to US military bases. They operate as a concessionaire, and tout 25mbps down AND up, per user.

https://www.accessparks.com/story/
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Here is the original story:article

It is still ambiguous but the reference to microwaves seems to indicate cell phones to me.

Microwave links have been used for telephone and data services for decades. They're also used to provide Internet service to cell towers, but that's far from their only use.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think in that same issue of the newsletter they mention that PA state parks are planning to add food truck service to some of their cg. As well as some FHU installations.

I don't object to cell phone service but food trucks?? That is too far.
Superbumper

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
This seems like the least intrusive way to add cell service... but I have to wonder why this is necessary. If you prefer your cell phone, go somewhere else. If you prefer nature and the amazing beauty of YNP, continue to have relatively unfettered access.

I agree, why do they need to improve cell service and internet access?
Maybe all the trees should be cut down to improve the views?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the original story:article

It is still ambiguous but the reference to microwaves seems to indicate cell phones to me.
Superbumper

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
the quote says nothing about Cell phone coverage. It is talking about wireless internet (wifi) coverage. Then there is that little note about needing dozens of other antennas throughout the park to link up to the external internet providers. It will be a very contested proposal.
As with most plans for technology within the park system there will be a bunch of "No Wifi because a laptop will somehow ruin the 2.2 million acre park" " people combined with the "if I get what I want, I don't care about aesthetics" group who will meet up with the "a much better technology is just around the next corner" bunch. My wager would be on the plan going nowhere.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they only put small device's on the building's that are already there I don't see a problem. I do agree do not put up tower's.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
This seems like the least intrusive way to add cell service... but I have to wonder why this is necessary. If you prefer your cell phone, go somewhere else. If you prefer nature and the amazing beauty of YNP, continue to have relatively unfettered access.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS