cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yosemite...how early?

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
We hoping to get to Yosemite this year and wonder how early in the spring can we go and now be driving on a lot of snow. I understand the variability of weather but in a normal winter/spring) A few light snow showers are fine just not wanting to be on the white stuff.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
7 REPLIES 7

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This year, the valley floor has been very cold and snowy -- the big storms of December left several feet of snow. We camped at Upper Pines during the last week of January and had to shovel ice and snow out of our campsite, even though January was totally without precipitation.

And we have hit a few inches of snow as late as mid-March.

Personally, I really like being in Yosemite Valley when there is some snow. It creates a lot of contrast and depth -- the photos practically take themselves.

Yes, it can get cold. Dress warmly and bring a lot of blankets. It is rarely below thirty degrees, so frozen pipes are not a big problem. I am sure it can get colder than that -- but after five winter trips, we have had no problems at all.

My advice is to go as early in the year as possible, given the difficulty in scoring a reservation. Good luck!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The valley is only 4000' and does not hold snow that well. Tioga through Tuolumne Meadows will be closed for a while longer due to snow.

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far, all have been very helpful.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve camped in Yosemite valley several times in the month of March when Easter break came early and have always had a good time. Our experience with March camping there has had daytime highs in the 55-70 degree range and nighttime lows in the 25-40 degree range. Weโ€™ve had light snowfall on one or two occasions but nothing that lasted or prevented driving. Good luck.
E.Lee Galik

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Weatherbase - Yosemite National Park Here is historical weather info.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Which entrance do you plan to use?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a terrible year to visit Yosemite. Many campsites shut down for work and lots of roads closed for repair. All that makes the most difficult to visit park that much worse. They will be limiting the number allowed in even more than usual. But that won't start untiul the thaw.
That said the earlier the better, I've camped there in snowstorms, had my tent buried and had to shovel it out every few hours all night. And got my car stuck in a snowbank. So it can be done. But weather will rule the day.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper