Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1987 Winnebago Elandan Remodel

andapony
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, all. I'm new here.

I'm remodeling a 1987 Winnebago Elandan that I bought and love. It has a lot of water damage from a 1'X1' skylight that was missing for a year(!)I've had it for 4 years, and I love it. I think she is adorable!

I'm considering gutting the damaged parts, replacing and just overhauling the interior to be exactly as I want it (off grid, very custom) to use it for full-timing.

I'm wondering if I put all this work into it, and if the engine, transmission, etc conks out for good (so far its stayed in decent shape with ) how much does it cost to replace the engine?

Is that worth it? Or would I be better off pouring my time and money into building a travel trailer or wagon (like the vardos) from scratch?

Thank you so much in advance for any input, ideas, etc.
4 REPLIES 4

andapony
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much for the replies!

As much as I love my old rig, I can see how easily it can (and probably will) become a money pit once its being driven around. Like you guys said,I would want a trailer when (not if) the engine goes. I can see a lot of advantage to having a separate vehicle.

I'm thinking about maybe building out a cargo trailer instead. Or a horse trailer. I've heard cargo trailers are a good skeleton to start with. But I personally like the look and heft of horse trailers a little better. Although I'll bet a horse trailer is heavier.

So not exactly sure which would be better.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My 02

Replacing big items like engine, transmission on 87 RV that already has water damage wouldn't be considered a wise investment by many.
Kevin

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a decent tow vehicle you may be better off with a trailer for full-timing. Unlike a motorhome, you'd have transportation without bringing your whole house with you.

The answer to the first question depends on how extensive the water damage is and how handy you are. My '84 sat in a tow yard for 6 years. It had leaked during that time, but didn't have a 1'x1' hole in the roof. The leaks were really just the result of neglect (they need inspected and sealed annually). Most of the damage was inside cabinets and not structural as the Allegro has an aluminum skeleton.

Unless you can replace the engine or transmission yourself, any sort of failure by either would render a rig that old worthless. You'd have to hope that it fails where you want to live permanently. At that point you'd wish you had a trailer.

I replaced the engine in my '84 Allegro M-31 myself. It's a P-30 chassis like yours would be. The engine fit through the driver's door. I found the 454 on Craigslist for $1,000. Add the cost of incidentals like fluids, hoses, belts and random parts I'm probably at about $1,500 for the engine replacement. It's a solid platform and if maintained properly I wouldn't worry about it failing.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I can't comment on your specific RV. A few years ago someone I know had to replace the gas engine in his Fleetwood Flair after it self destructed while in Florida.
He paid about $10,000 to have it done. I'm sure the price has increased over the last few years.

You may be better off building or restoring a TT.
Good luck with either route you take, keep us updated.