cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5-2 Day Programmable Honeywell Thermostat Upgrade

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS travel trailer was outfitted from the factory with an analog Coleman-Mach thermostat. We found that it did not control the temperature swings above and below the set-point to our satisfaction. The RV warmed up too much before the AC kicked in and in the cooler weather, the temps This means that a thermostat upgrade was in my future.

See writeup here.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_
15 REPLIES 15

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a Honeywell 5-2 in our 5er as well. It is the same one we have at home, so I didn't need to learn a new thermostat.
I love the fact that our camper will warm up in the morning before we get out of bed.

I just wired the AC to run at high speed all the time, because if I want AC, I want AC!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I put a non-programable Honeywell in my camper and it's been a great mod. I put the low/hi switch in the camper wall just above the thermostat. It won't get bumped, and I don't plan to pull the thermostat when I sell the camper.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Okay now I understand your previous post. Thanks.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
You do not need to reset/clear the Honeywell. It just displays EE (since it does not recognize the extreme temperature, it does not know to heat or to cool so it won't send 12v to the system needed (AC/Heat)). Once the interior reaches a temp within the spec, it will display the temp.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Playtime II wrote:
On the Honeywell mod, remove the faceplate and then jump the 12v(+)terminal to the AC (or Heat)terminal Thus bypassing the thermostat's thermometer until the interior gets within the operating temp of the thermostat.

A 3" piece of 18ga works fine.

You can always buy a RV themostat and avoid all of this.

And this clears the "EE" message in the display? I searched for a more elegant way to reset the thermostat but so far could not find any info.

I'd rather do the reset than buy an RV thermostat at this time.
Regards,
Wayne
_

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
On the Honeywell mod, remove the faceplate and then jump the 12v(+)terminal to the AC (or Heat)terminal Thus bypassing the thermostat's thermometer until the interior gets within the operating temp of the thermostat.

A 3" piece of 18ga works fine.

You can always buy a RV themostat and avoid all of this.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

JLTN_James
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Honeywell thermostat in my pop-up (heat only). I chose the simpler 7-day version; whether weekday or weekend it's still playtime when using the camper! Nothing better than knowing the furnace will bring the temperature up before I have to get out of bed! One feature I like with the Honeywell is that the low set point is 45 degrees. Really saves on propane and battery.
2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Playtime II wrote:
Did the Honeywell mod a while back. The only issues have been when the TT was in storage at extreme temps (below 50f or above 110f). The thermostat would read EE as it did not recognize the extreme temp. I had to manually jump the terminals to get heat/ac to run. Once within the range, it worked great at keeping the temp +/- 1 degree.

Thanks. What do you mean by "jump the terminals", ie how do you do this?
Regards,
Wayne
_

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Did the Honeywell mod a while back. The only issues have been when the TT was in storage at extreme temps (below 50f or above 110f). The thermostat would read EE as it did not recognize the extreme temp. I had to manually jump the terminals to get heat/ac to run. Once within the range, it worked great at keeping the temp +/- 1 degree.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

2Macs
Explorer
Explorer
I just upgrade my Flagstaff with a Hunter 7 Day programmable thermostat. It works great.
Ed & Michele :C

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Works really nice. Holds the set temp much better than the original. Since we keep it on the cool side at night it's nice to have it kick on and warm things up before we get up.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
I do love that slide switch. Maybe one of these days I will change the switch to one like that. Looks much better. Low priority though, since it is just the wife and I and the only thing that is in front of the thermostat is the dish drainer.

How do you find the thermostat's function?
Regards,
Wayne
_

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same mod a few years ago. I was afraid someone (me) might bump into the switch so I used a slide switch on the side.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Awesome writeup and thanks for sharing. I've got the same stat in my 2014 FR Windjammer and will be looking to do this mod in the future.

You're welcome. There were a few glitches in the narrative since I created to initial post, but these have now been corrected.

Just in case anyone was wondering what I was going to do about the 3rd screw - that wall will be covered with Smart Tile so the hole will disappear. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Regards,
Wayne
_