cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone drill thru a corian counter top

AJB
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install a dish soap dispenser and need to drill a 1" hole thru the counter top. I have the location picked out,plenty of clearance, but just to scared to do it. Anyone have any tips, tricks or advice?
31 REPLIES 31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
AJB wrote:
Thanks for all the input everybody. I ended up drilling a smaller pilot hole and then used a hole saw. Just like some of you said, it was easy. Especially when the DW was the one crawling under the sink. First time trying to load pics in a post so if it works you can see a before and after.

Looks like mine only different!

Good upgrade.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mark5w wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mark5w wrote:
You are a brave one TomM

He's not brave; he's knowledgeable about tools. Been using a forstner bit in hand drills for 45 years. Not once did I have it grab or twist on my wrist.

38 year carpentry instructor

Union Carpenter since october 16 1977 ! And a forstner bit is not the correct application for the task being discussed.

The forstner bit in pics above is better used in a drill press and is designed for a flat bottom hole like what is needed for euro type door hinges.

As a Carpentry instructor you would know this to be true.

I think you miss understood my post. I just said I have used a forstner bit in a power drill, I actually agreed with using the hole saw with some tape on the counter. The forstner bit was not recommended for this job.

OK Cool
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
AJB,
Good idea and it looks good. Now I need to pick up a soap dispenser.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mark5w wrote:
You are a brave one TomM

He's not brave; he's knowledgeable about tools. Been using a forstner bit in hand drills for 45 years. Not once did I have it grab or twist on my wrist.

Union Carpenter since october 16 1977 ! And a forstner bit is not the correct application for the task being discussed.

The forstner bit in pics above is better used in a drill press and is designed for a flat bottom hole like what is needed for euro type door hinges.

I think you miss understood my post. I just said I have used a forstner bit in a power drill, I actually agreed with using the hole saw with some tape on the counter. The forstner bit was not recommended for this job.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

AJB
Explorer
Explorer
Got it, thanks.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pics need to be hosted by a place like Photobucket.

AJB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input everybody. I ended up drilling a smaller pilot hole and then used a hole saw. Just like some of you said, it was easy. Especially when the DW was the one crawling under the sink. First time trying to load pics in a post so if it works you can see a before and after.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
The deal really is how do I do the job without damaging the product. Not that any the bit won't work but the chance of a problem is higher than a simple hole saw. Construction was all I ever did starting with the good old shovel. Just if you were interested. The meaning for the term "wood butcher" doesn't apply to me.
chevman and good luck
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mark5w wrote:
You are a brave one TomM

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
You are a brave one TomM

'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Hole saw would be the best with out a doubt. Not a hard job with the correct tools. It routs nice also.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom_M wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Forstner bit is designed for a drill press. Unless you clamp a board down with a hole in it the forstner can and probably will walk on you. Hole saw!

I've had no problems using a Forstner bit in a hand drill. I installed a sink and stovetop recently in my coach and used a Forstner bit to drill through my solid surface countertop. It may walk if trying to drill a deep hole but otherwise no problem.

Are you talking the one with a small point in the center or the screw point in the center?

This one:

You are a brave one TomM

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
smkettner wrote:
I thought Corian was just a type of plastic?
I would just use a flat blade speed bore bit and be done with it.
Dispenser comes with a trim ring yes?

Laminate or stone would take a little more effort.

Laminate is MUCH easier to drill than Corian.

I would think laminate would be more prone to surface damage such as chipping. But you are correct as most is thin and then just particle board.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Forstner bit is designed for a drill press. Unless you clamp a board down with a hole in it the forstner can and probably will walk on you. Hole saw!

I've had no problems using a Forstner bit in a hand drill. I installed a sink and stovetop recently in my coach and used a Forstner bit to drill through my solid surface countertop. It may walk if trying to drill a deep hole but otherwise no problem.

Are you talking the one with a small point in the center or the screw point in the center?

This one:
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN