cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom Dry Pipe

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
First of all I want to thank everyone here for several years of entertainment, education, and ideas gained from reading this forum. Although I rarely post, I look forward to visiting the website several times a week.
Here is an addition that has made the draining and flushing of my 5th-wheelerโ€™s black-water tank quite a bit easier. I installed a dry pipe in the bathroom right next to the commode. It is used to fill the tank with additional water just prior to dumping, and to add 5 gallons or so to the emptied tank to prevent the dreaded โ€œpoo pyramidโ€ before the next dump (no pun intended). The pipe is โ€œdryโ€ since it is only charged with water when the black tank is emptied.
I used ยฝโ€ sch.40 PVC pipe to run a line from near the dump connection on the street side, across the underbelly, then up into the bathroom next to the commode where a ยฝโ€ FPT brass quarter-turn hose bibb controls water flow. The street-side end of the pipe has a ยพโ€ female hose fitting to which my utility hose is connected. In use, a short length of ยฝโ€ I.D. vinyl tubing is attached to the bibb and pointed straight down the toiletโ€™s open waste valve to add water to the black tank. The tubing must be hand-held during this operation to prevent overfilling of the tank. Mine also has enough curl to it to prevent it from staying in the toilet and thereby eliminating the possibility of a cross-connection with fresh and waste water. When finished the utility hose is stowed and water in the pipe is allowed to drain out for a few moments, the FHT connection is plugged, the bibb is capped (even though it is unnecessary), and the vinyl tubing is put into a large ziplock bag and stored behind the commode. The vinyl has never gotten dirty so I have no qualms about storing it this way.
One caution โ€“ after pressurizing the pipe, be very careful opening the quarter-turn valve to fill the black tank. The line will have air in it and can splash water in the commode which can then land in places where it doesnโ€™t belong. Guess how I found this out. In addition, since my utility hose is also used for the tank flusher, I put a hose-end ball valve with a quick-connect fitting between the utility hose and the dry pipe inlet. When a hose switch is needed, I just turn off the ball valve to keep the line full of water, then attach the hose to the tank flush inlet via a brass 90-degree ell which is also equipped with a quick-connect fitting. A reconnect to the dry pipe will let a small amount of air back into the line but I can usually hear it coming through the pipe and close the valve a bit to eliminate splashing.
Here are some pictures that should make things more understandable than my poor efforts at written explanation. I didn't like having to make multiple trips with a 5-gallon water bottle to put in the toilet prior to having to dump a short-filled tank, nor dragging a long hose inside to do the job. Perhaps someone else can benefit from this idea.

Hole in the floor for 1/2" PVC pipe.

Detail showing homemade drop-ear ell, bibb and cap holder

Sprayed with satin finish black paint for plastic. The white cap is screwed to a 3/4"MHT x 1/2"MPT connector and used to just keep crud out of the line when not in use.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B
19 REPLIES 19

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
neat idea, but if your tanks are exposed would it not be easier to just add a tank rinser? thats what I did on my old trailer... worked great.

Steve

A tank rinser is installed and used every time the tank is dumped. The pipe lets me add water to the black tank, easily and quickly, so I can get maximum flow when the dump valve is opened. It is also faster to refill the tank with more water if a second dump is desired.

I just wanted to put this idea out there in case someone might find it beneficial to them in their particular situation, as I do in mine. If it works for anyone, that is great. If it doesn't, then by all means don't use it. Just have as much fun as you can while enjoying this great activity of RVing.
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Also not sure of the need for the cap on the faucet. Wouldn't simply closing the 1/4-turn faucet accomplish the same thing as the little black cap?

Yes. The black plastic cap is merely a redundant device to secure the water line, on the off chance that little fingers of the grandkids might turn on the valve out of curiosity before Grandpa gets there to hook up the vinyl tube during the dumping process. The possibility is very, very remote however.

In reality, I think it just gives the thing a more finished look. :B

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
neat idea, but if your tanks are exposed would it not be easier to just add a tank rinser? thats what I did on my old trailer... worked great.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

beachcomber_1
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the sink faucet in bathroom with a laundry tub faucet, has hose threads.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems like a really complicated version of stepping on the bed alone and pouring a bucket or two of water down the hole.

Oh, wait, a couple of buckets of water gets poured straight over any possible โ€˜accumulationโ€™ en masse.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of a cool addition, but it basically does the same thing as your black tank flush; adds water to the black tank, using an outside source. Also not sure of the need for the cap on the faucet. Wouldn't simply closing the 1/4-turn faucet accomplish the same thing as the little black cap?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Seon wrote:
Lantley wrote:
... But I just put a tee with valve on the existing 1/2 toilet supply line.

Does the water supply provide enough pressure?

In general yes.
The RV is not creating its own pressure. The supply is as strong as the incoming water source!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
... But I just put a tee with valve on the existing 1/2 toilet supply line.

Does the water supply provide enough pressure?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I get your idea and if it works the way you want to it's all good.
I have something similar. But I just put a tee with valve on the existing 1/2 toilet supply line. I then have a short garden hose always attached. I saw no need to run a 2nd dedicated line into the bathroom?
I can use the garden hose as a turd blaster or a toilet filler.
The garden hose has a lot more pressure than the toilet rinsers found on many RV toilets
That 2nd dedicated line might be good for winter camping? you could fill and flush toilet without putting water into the entire plumbing system!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a very complex solution to a simple issue.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
LOL. I just hook a hose to my Flush King to flush the black tank AND put 5 gallons of water in the tank. 5 gallons = about 1 minute. No need to go into the unit.

Ditto....
And it only takes ONE Person
No need for anyone else holding toilet ball valve open, holding a vinyl tube in toilet and having to smell the black tank while putting water in
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL. I just hook a hose to my Flush King to flush the black tank AND put 5 gallons of water in the tank. 5 gallons = about 1 minute. No need to go into the unit.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Hold the pedal down and fill away. Drag a hose in the door and insert in toilet, fill away.

naturist; get a Dometic 310 or 320 they flush all the way around. Shower spay if it still needs help.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
That is one solution to a problem we all have, whether we know it or not. Thank you for the idea.

In my case, I came across a bidet at Lowes that consisted of a hand sprayer & fittings. Being tired of the two-liter-coke-bottle full of water used to rinse the back side of the toilet after use to prevent untoward odors, I bought and installed said sprayer on the back of my toilet. Now I have the best of both worlds: a bidet for rinsing off my bum after conducting business AND a sprayer to rinse the back side of the toilet bowl AND an easy way to add those extra gallons the OP mentions.