cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Meter

Doclocke
Explorer
Explorer
The battery status display in our motorhome leaves a lot to be desired, and I've found through experience that I can't trust it when it comes to knowing if the shore cord needs to be attached during winter storage.

I'd like to install a small dial that would be be directly wired to the battery terminals, with an on/off switch to prevent the meter itself from using juice when I don't need it.

Have any of you guys done something like that? If so, where did you find the meter?

Thanks for any suggestions.
18 REPLIES 18

jrloucks
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering a nice flush mounted voltmeter to monitor the house battery. I even bought one which didn't work (got my money back). I eventually bought a portable cigarette lighter voltage monitor to plug into a cigarette lighter connected to the house battery.

The advantage of this unit is it's portable, and can be removed if the plug needs to be used to power something else. It doesn't require modifying the Systems Monitor, or cutting a hole to mount a more permanent meter. It can also be plugged into the dash cigarette lighter to check the chassis battery charge/status.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
Ditto. It's the BMV-712.
Best one available in my opinion.

Here's a giant screen I installed over the weekend to read the BMV-712 data via the Bluetooth Victron Connect app
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Doclocke,

I have this discussion with owners all the time.

You can get a 3-1/2 display that will tell you the Terminal Voltage of t the bank and not much else. Or, you can install a real battery monitor like Bogart or Victron and know what is really happening.

The entire existence of a 12V bank is between 11.9 and 12.8 VDC. If it gets outside of those, there is something wrong and a the voltage tells you is how much trouble you are in at this moment.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Tri Metric 2030RV. Ive been using it for more than a decade to monotr my Trojan 125's flooded wet cells. %charge, Amps, Voltage, works great. My batts are $900 for the 4 so its a worthy investment.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Victron Battery Monitor. Several different models, some with Bluetooth. Not cheap, but probably the best one out there.

Ditto. It's the BMV-712.
Best one available in my opinion.

Here's mine
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used one of the inexpensive ebay meters in my previous 5er, and put the BMV-702 in this one and I like the Victron MUCH better.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need any additional USB outlets?
Do you plan to get solar in the future?

I have something similar to this. It gives you USB ports, cig lighter, and voltage on a switch.

Dont buy the model i posted. The 2.1A USB is really old. The last USB port i bought was 3.0a and does fast charging. There might even be a newer style.

https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Charger-Waterproof-Cigarette-Automotive/dp/B07T9HC65T/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=12v+power+panel&qid=1612998095&sr=8-6

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our most of our RVs we have kept it simple and used the plug in DC socket type on both interior and exterior of rig, a quick glance and we would have battery voltage and/or which phase our converter was currently charging in. We purchased a better quality unit that displayed battery voltage same as our Fluke, cheaper units were always a few tenths off which could be the difference between bulk and absorption phases. They use such a miniscule amount of power that we never had a need to unplug them, although it was easy peasy to do so.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Basic LCD meter will use less power than the battery self discharges.

Yes, my 3-1/2 digit panel voltmeter draws 9ma (.009A). It's hard wired, no switch.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a digital voltmeter that I plug into a cigarette style outlet that I installed just inside the door of the TT. I can also use that socket to charge cameras, flashlights, anything that needs a 12 volt outlet. Cost me about $15 total and multipurpose.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Victron Battery Monitor. Several different models, some with Bluetooth. Not cheap, but probably the best one out there.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basic LCD meter will use less power than the battery self discharges.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of digital panel meters are available at Amazon, etc. One of those plus a switch would work (though without the needle, of course).

Here is a nice looking analog gauge for battery voltage, with an appropriately sensitive range. I don't think it would be great for your purposes, though, in as much as any converter would peg it on the high side. When operating off of battery power it would be fine; maybe have a momentary pushbutton switch to connect it in under those circumstances. (No numbers on the scale, unfortunately.)