cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Booger welded some stuff on the rig today..

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, I've been meaning to 'fix' some things with the scissor jacks and the 3 step folding steps on my Rockwood for some time now..

I've had a cheapo flux core welder for about a year now. I bought it for a project on my little utility trailer to add some metal sides to it instead of using 2x4's and plywood that after 25 years, finally rotted out enough to need to be replaced..

I took welding in HS back in the late 70's, when schools actually taught things like wood, metal, auto, welding classes!! (which I took them ALL and that's probably the only reason I graduated!!)

Anyway, I had to learn the machine, but was surprised that I at least could still dial it in and make a weld.. I'm not going to post any pics, as all that's gonna do is bring out all the "pro" welders and rip me a new one for doing everything WRONG... Ha, ha..

Anyway, with the Rockwood, the cheapo scissor jacks have these little collars on the screw that keep the screw from backing itself out as it goes up or down... I had one that broke, and I hacked it with a small hose clamp, but I had to tighten it up every time I used the jack..

So, finally, dragged the flux core welder out there and tacked all 4 of them more than the single tack weld they had from OEM.

I also had to put a piece of scrape angle iron on one of the scissor jack arms, as it somehow got bent and had no strength to it anymore.. I bent it back and just 'tacked' a 3" piece of angle iron to it and it's better than new! ha, ha..

I then added some scrap angle iron to firm up the folding steps so they don't 'flex' as much when my fat A steps on it.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just some boogered tack welds between the frame and the step brackets on both sides was enough to make it flex A LOT LESS than before, so I count it as a win..

Some grinding and some black paint makes the booger welds look 'better', but still nothing I'll post in a pic.. Ha, ha... ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.
15 REPLIES 15

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
JJR,
We all get older and the eyes lose the close focus they used to have, so look up:
Welding Magnifier Plates. (also called "cheaters" in the trade)
They cost about 10$ and you can get a diopter that you use for your reading glasses. They go inside the hood.
Matt - who has several.
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I can still run a respectable looking bead! But I can no longer see the joint so over an inch or so I start to wander around, LOL

I use my neighbors $100 HF machine, it is an DC welder, I do not care for the DC and the wire that came with it is ****. If I want something to be strong and look good I pay to have it done.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
GSW (Grinder-Sawzall Welding) ๐Ÿ˜„
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love it

Especially the unlimited lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. I have a couple of those warranties from "someone" who did some work as well. Only time it will expire is when he does (grin).

Nice job.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
After seeing your welds, your getting a grinder for Christmas.........GRIN

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your weld looks a lot better than my duct tape. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the "Ego Boost" guys...

I thought about drilling holes and bolting the brackets on.. But, I already had the welder out and drilling was not going to be too much fun when I had "glue" to fix it!

The tacks were just to place it, then I stepped on the steps and they were so much more solid, I just went with it and figured if any of them pop, I'll just make a little bigger tack next time (on warranty)... ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
You call that welding???? You've got to be kidding!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ No, seriously that is at least a hundred times better than I could do. I'm kind of like you(except for having no welding skills). If I can do it myself I'll do it, and who cares what it looks like. It works for me, and that's what counts. Good job. Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks better than anything I have done. I'm a Dobber.

I'll have to post some of my welds on my lawnmower, you'll see what I mean
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Those welds match the ones done by Lippert"s nosepickers perfectly in both quality and appearance. If ever needed you guys could easily get a job slapping frames together for them @ $13.00 per hour.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did pop for the 'unlimited warranty' on the work, so if something does not work as planned, I can take it back and get it fixed for free... No questions asked! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If they hold that's all I'm after. You call your's boogers...I call mine bird sh_t. Think we're in the same league.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mitch, looks good!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
What the heck... Maybe posting these will make someone else just do something for themselves to solve a problem with just some time and justifying buying a "toy" and using it from time to time.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah.. This is by NO MEANS what I would PAY for... But, these are not anything anyone is going to see and it's not anything to do with "safety", so it's just what is going to work for me until it doesn't and then I'll adjust from there and go for version 2.0.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Enjoy, but be kind.. ha, ha... ๐Ÿ™‚ Mitch