cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C window coverings, inside

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Unhappy with curtains but clueless as what do do until saw a link on another site! I am in Florida so any heat blocking is worth some xtra effort. I am waiting for some polyurethane to dry so instead of finishing another project I started a new one!

Other than collecting solar energy, I consider the front window useless so will that will be a fixed cover. I would like to get a vinyl stick on made for the outside, saying Tonka or some such thing.

I did not care for gluing the fabric to foam sheets, not actually to foam but to a thin plastic membrane coating the foam, so using a wood frame and staples. I also did not want to lose the use of little windows.

Missed a bit in my planning, I could have easily installed magnetic catches during construction, but now have to change to self closing hinges and figure out a way to prop them open when I want the ventilation?

Also my original reading light idea will have to be changed to something small.

Figure out how to fasten the front ones and this project is almost done!!

A few 1X4 cut up $10, a sheet of foam $12, some glue and screws, I am using a friction fit to hold the foam in the frame with some caulk, closeout cloth from Joann's fabric at $3.50 yd. My wife and I found a material that we both liked and then realized we were looking at the back, so the back it is! I will have to add a couple $$ worth of self closing hinges, oh well.

I am really happy with this one, so on to those pesky side windows. Jim Edit I've put images on this site before but still having issues with doing?

3 REPLIES 3

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to respond to this and was timed out a couple times. I went back and removed all the degree symbols, so will see what happens.

Did they help? Good question. Took my temp gun out Aluminum frame of window under the cover away from sun 96 temperature of cover inside 93

Temperature of cabin window frame in sun, no cover 120

Temperature of covered window frame in sun 148 temp of cover inside 100

Temp where sun shines on floor 104 Temp where sun is not hitting
due to cover 95

Outside ambient temp 86 Thermometer inside MH pegged at 90.

I used aluminum frame for temps, not able to get accurate reading off glass. Temps are with no AC and door open.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
They look nice - did they help much with the heat?
Kevin

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice. I hope you have some way to take the front window cover off to check for leaks etc. should the need come up.

I kind of like having a window there on my class C for the additional view and light, but I might think otherwise if I lived in Florida. The climate in Vermont tends to be a good bit cooler.