cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dedicated charging station for phones, wifi, tablets

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 3 1/2 week trip. I am tired of charge cords all over our little TT.

I am installing an additional 110 outlet in the corner of our " bedroom " area, out of the way of normal traffic. Plan to use some sort of power strip to handle multiple chargers ( camera battery, Wifi HS, phones, tablets ).

I am thinking power overload is not an issue with these multiple devices, would that be true?

Has anyone done this and if so do you have pics of what it looks like?

Thanks
37 REPLIES 37

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I went the 12v route:

Travel Trailer Upgrade: for my USB charging ports

Truck Camper Upgrade: More USB and 12v Ports
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
@ Larry
I never imagined one of those exists , cool

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve had a dedicated Charging Station for years. The dividers are useless but the charging works great for an assortment of gadgets.
Larry

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
Good 12 volt outlets
Three 10 amp 12 volt outlets with four usb outlets and a voltmeter .
They have blade fuses built right into the male plug!
I think the total amp rating of the usb side is 6 amps.

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
Good power strips

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-UltraPro-7-Outlet-2-USB-Port-Power-Strip-Surge-Protector-Black-40482/725291933

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
12 volt three way outlet for all day long phone charging and then here is a 110 volt power strip that has chargers plugged in .

All of this stuff is always wired up and plugged in and so everyday I fire up my genset for a hour everything charges including my house battery.
Genset is in the rear bumper

The black box holds a electric shaver that is hardwired , blue tooth headphones hang on the box and the charger cable plugged in there too.
Internet hot spot in the middle.

Haven't got around to adding horizontal conduit to my power cord

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I also added 12v and USB to my Nash 17k

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I added a station to my Boat. One 12V and two USB's.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
In my truck camper, I added some DC powered USB ports

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I installed one of these some time ago. Works for us.

Find it on Amazon. It is the normal outlet size, so you can put it in a low voltage box if you want, but you don't have to. They offer it for connecting directly to a 12vdc source (what I used) and they also offer it for connecting to 120vac, which I would definitely want in a box. It doesn't come with the cover plate, but that is a standard slim-line style cover.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I installed something similar (different brand) to the item pictured below in our Motorhome.

I couldn't find one that had 2 sets of USB ports, so I replaced the 12v power outlet with a second dual USB socket for a total of 4 USB ports. I then attached a little dollar store letter organizer above the outlets to hold tablets and phones. It worked really well, wish I had done it when we first bought the Motorhome.

The new TT has USB ports in both bedrooms, so never bothered installing them in the TT.

-Michael

Moderator edit to re-size image to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two port USB in my 12v connector has been more than sufficient for us.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a combo cigarette lighter/usb port directly to my 12v source. It works great for us. If you decide to off grid a lot and like to watch tv a 12v model is great and uses a fraction of what an inverter to 120 takes.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I happen to have a couple of small compartments that are not useful much else over the cab area of my B camper. I installed 2 cigarette lighter outlets and an 110 volt plug in the back of one and a single cigarette outlet in the back of the other, I can mix and match either USB chargers or other charges. Have not needed the second compartment for charging so far but the main compartment works well for charging a laptop and a couple of iPads. on the wall outside the compartment I gave a small shelf with a rail around it, just big enough to put two iPhones on end leaning against the wall. Above the shelf I have a double USB outlet that has a voltmeter between the outlets just to monitor the cabin battery. I also scattered a couple of more cigarette lighter outlets in convenient places around the camper just in case, not used often but nice to have already installed to cut down on cables draped around.