cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior Door Stop Ideas?

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love our little Sunseeker, but one issue has been nagging at me for some time and before our big trip next summer I want to resolve it once and for all...

Our exterior coach door opens 90 degrees (the awning frame prevents further opening) and has a piston stop at the top to control the speed of the opening as well as hold the door open. One end of the piston attaches to the door frame on the outside, and the other ends attachment to the door is where the problem arises. A 90 degree metal bracket has two long screws that go into the top of the door. Whenever the wind catches the door, the leverage applied to the bracket has worked those screws loose and I don't trust the door stop design at all anymore.

How would you use for a sturdy RV exterior door stop for a door that can only open 90 degrees or so?
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

5 REPLIES 5

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
RV door 90 degree stop catch
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I don't understand the problem but many stick and brick storm doors have a chain and spring assembly that cushions the door when blown open and the spring keeps it from opening more than is desirable.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
BruceMc wrote:
There is a post on Forest River Forums... they took a handicapped handrail & cut it off, then added a rubber cane tip on the cut end.

I think this may be the post you were thinking about... Forest River Forum Door Repair

I really like the door stop idea as long as the wind doesn't catch the door and punch a hole in it! Perhaps a piece of flat steel as a bumper to spread out the force. Would stop the issue of the door going too far for sure, and would save the door bracket from opening too far... Perhaps a better mount for the gas strut is what I now need to find.
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a post on Forest River Forums in either the Sunseeker or Forester sections, but I can't seem to find it at the moment; they took a handicapped handrail & cut it off, then added a rubber cane tip on the cut end. They mounted it on the wall below the awning, and removed the gas shock. I'd like to do something similar, but I haven't taken the time to think it through.
The shock mounts on the threshold & bottom of the door are weak; they were not designed for a shock. Ours was sloppy on the day we picked it up, but it has held together.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L