cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extra storage on the tongue.

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
I saw this on YouTube and I decided to do it. I don't boondock (yet) so I don't need a second battery. I had to move the original battery over to make room but the new box fits like a glove.

I will be putting wheel chocks and WDH pins in there for storage. Or anything else that I don't mind getting wet. I drilled some holes in the bottom to let any water out (on both boxes).
9 REPLIES 9

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BarabooBob wrote:
What size TT % truck you have where you could add 150 pounds to the tongue weight and not worry about too much tongue weight.

We just did similar battery upgrade. Towing a 7500lb trailer with an f250. Still have about 700lb of payload left on the truck.

Wish they made the would frame longer as it would add nothing to the cost but given more room to attach things.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
What size TT % truck you have where you could add 150 pounds to the tongue weight and not worry about too much tongue weight.

Not worried about the weight. Wheel chocks donโ€™t weigh too much.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
when I had my travel trailer, I built that new battery rack on top of the A frame so it would hold four 6V batteries in a line. never worried about power with that trailer in the summer.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
instead of plugging the vents on top maybe drill a couple of small drain holes in the bottom of the box. That way you still get the advantage of the vent. I put 2 1/4 holes in mine and no water.

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
That fits perfect! I might have to do some measuring down the road.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great idea and nice install! I had a little bit more room on the tongue of my trailer, so I went one step further and got a truck bed box and bolted it where the battery tray is. It locks, is water proof and holds the 2 batteries and I have storage space on either side of the batteries.

The box is designed for the side rails of a pickup truck. I think it was $150 from Northern Tool. Bonus is it secures the batteries as well! I have had batteries stolen on my old trailer sitting on the side of house!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Pretty ingenious idea. On my battery boxes I tool a small piece of black duct tape and plugged those top vent holes. Otherwise rainwater running off the roof fills the boxes up.

I definitely plan on filling those holes. I was thinking a 5 min. epoxy would do the trick.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Pretty ingenious idea. On my battery boxes I tool a small piece of black duct tape and plugged those top vent holes. Otherwise rainwater running off the roof fills the boxes up.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup