cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fence post under trailer question

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about doing the fence post sewer hose mod with the slide-out gutter. I currently keep the sewer hose and attachments in a tote in the outside storage. I don't like the idea of using the bumper, as it seems to get rusty and it's a tight fit. Worried about puncturing the slinky. The rinse hose also takes up a lot of room, so I was thinking about getting one of those coil hoses, which should fit in the fence post as well.

My question is in regards to the idea of having a second fence post for the fresh water hose and attachments as well, also using a coiled hose. I would use termination caps on both ends of the hose to keep the dust out, and rinse out the fence post regularly.

Any comments on this for or against? Would be nice to keep all my hoses out of storage to free up a lot of room.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan
13 REPLIES 13

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
I would not store the water hose below the stinky slinky but would rather see it above or ahead of the sewer hose. Venting the fence posts sounds like a good idea. I sanitize my water hoses and keep them capped when stored so that minimizes any problems.

Yes.. I plan on having them side by side, with maybe 6" between. Maybe I should put this one near the front of the trailer.

DutchmenSport wrote:
If you connect both ends of your water hose together, you won't have any cross contamination, any worse than laying the hose on the ground and a bird flies over head. The inside of the hose stays clean.

I do the same with my regular white hose, but to fit in the fence post, I wanted to get one of those coiled spring hoses. Won't be able to put the ends together in the tube, which is why I thought of the cap idea. CW sells a male and female cap set for $3.99
2004 Nissan Titan

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you connect both ends of your water hose together, you won't have any cross contamination, any worse than laying the hose on the ground and a bird flies over head. The inside of the hose stays clean.

I always rinse the ends of my hoses, and always run 15 or 20 seconds of water through before actually using the hose. But I use regular garden hoses too, not the RV type. I do sanatize them a couple times a year, but the real secret is to keep the ends hooked up together.

Venting is always a good thing. If the container is sealed, it could start smelling, even with clean hoses and water.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I would not store the water hose below the stinky slinky but would rather see it above or ahead of the sewer hose. Venting the fence posts sounds like a good idea. I sanitize my water hoses and keep them capped when stored so that minimizes any problems.

On edit - I didn't realize you were already capping the HOSE and not talking about the post. Sorry-my bad. But in any event I wouldn't risk letting the slinky drip on the hose. I would seal the fresh water post and vent the other one if they are close together, otherwise vent them both.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
My original question was regarding putting in a second fence post for a coiled fresh water hose. As long as the ends are capped, and the fence post has drainage and rinsed regularly, do you see any issues with this?
2004 Nissan Titan

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made spacers and attached a square vinyl fence post on top of the existing metal sewer bumper tube. One end has a cap screwed on, and the opening end cap is held in place with two small rods going through the cap and tube vertically. I put the cap on the tube and just drilled matching holes for the rods to go through. The "rods" are actually heavy metal coat hangers with a loop on top. Three trailers, and it's still working well. I never lost a rod...Most fence posts have some holes in them for fencing so I mounted those on the lower side to allow drainage.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Cap held with latch and flat pin hinge on opposite side. Bought the pieces at the local hardware store:

Bingo that's the same type clamps I used. I love Pop Rivets!
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I used the fence post cals on mine & on one end it is pop rivited on, the other end next to the drain connector is attached with hinges and a small padlock hasp with a small clip to keep it latched. I attached my post to the frame with plumbers strap. Sure is handy.
DutchmenSport I like what you did also. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well the great part of the 5" post for sewer stuff is it all fits.
As for the water hose, I think a good quality hose might be able to be coiled inside the fence post.
This is the 90 degree end fitting in the 5" post.

Hinged cover with hinges and latch.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Cap held with latch and flat pin hinge on opposite side. Bought the pieces at the local hardware store:
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
I have seen some pretty nice covers that were made for the fence post approach. Many were fence post caps that were hinged, latched, etc. They looked pretty sharp but I don't know where they got the hardware for them.

I used the fence post caps on mine and I have them held on with spring latches I got from where else AMAZON!

They work great and never come open I can take a couple of pics if anyone is interested.
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen some pretty nice covers that were made for the fence post approach. Many were fence post caps that were hinged, latched, etc. They looked pretty sharp but I don't know where they got the hardware for them.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
I was thinking about doing the fence post sewer hose mod with the slide-out gutter. I currently keep the sewer hose and attachments in a tote in the outside storage. I don't like the idea of using the bumper, as it seems to get rusty and it's a tight fit. Worried about puncturing the slinky. The rinse hose also takes up a lot of room, so I was thinking about getting one of those coil hoses, which should fit in the fence post as well.

My question is in regards to the idea of having a second fence post for the fresh water hose and attachments as well, also using a coiled hose. I would use termination caps on both ends of the hose to keep the dust out, and rinse out the fence post regularly.

Any comments on this for or against? Would be nice to keep all my hoses out of storage to free up a lot of room.

I added two of the fence posts under our new trailer figured while I was doing one might as well do two.

I use one for Fishing rods reel and all put them in one from each side I am always ready to fish reel line and hook all set open cover and go.

The Hose I still store in the rear bumper very rarely use it I have a smaller ten foot in my store box with the fittings that I always use.

The other Fence post I really like your idea of the coiled hose storage I already use those coil hoses and they are great! I could also put the splitter and 90 degree elbow in there. Thanks for the idea!
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
On my previous trailer (Springdale), I did something similar to the fence post, but I used a 4 inch PVC pipe and drain covers like in a shower. I made the tube 10 feet long (trailers are 8 feet wide), and it fit perfect from the rear axle to the end of the camper. I used a combination of zip ties and later metal straps to attach it to the under carriage of the camper. When I got my new Outback, the underside was completely enclosed, so I never reattached the tube. I still have the tube in my garage, if I ever have to remove the cover from under the Outback, and see how the frame is put together, I may someday use it again. But for my Springdale it worked great. Here's the photos. I think they speak for themselves:

I cut this one in half long ways, which also doubled as a support for the hose when on the ground: