cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fireplace mod

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I know they're cheasy but the RV we're getting has a place for a "fireplace" and I want to add it after delivery - the compartment has no other use for us and we thought it would be fun. (Dealer wanted $900 but they go for under $200)

Does anyone have experience with a specific model/brand that they like?

Thanks,
Scott
15 REPLIES 15

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
RollandB wrote:
Glad someone posted the link for ElectricFirePlaces direct, I've been shopping one for a basement remodel in our stick house and they have lots to choose from.

Dimplex is the brand Northwood uses and on the NROA forum several have posted favorable comments.

I picked up a unit that included a surround since the size of the firebox will fit in the area of our fifth wheel. I'll scrap the surround, maybe use some for trim, but the biggest thing for us is how much noise the heater makes. We use a portable heater do let the place we are camped pay the heat, but mostly cuz it's so much quieter than the furnace. The fireplace we picked up was at a local store and plugged in so we got to try the sound it makes before buying it. It will be a project this winter when I have a few days to play and make it fit.

It will indeed be going in our new Silver Fox 32A.
I hadn't even considered how much noise it makes - that's kind of important.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
My fireplace is a Thermoheat and the heater can be run with the flame feature off although we always have it on when using the heater.

Can you tell me what brand or model you have?

Thanks,
Scott

http://www.racersrvstuff.com/racersrv/include/retrieve_file.php?type=overview&fileid=2654

The last page has the MFG. info

Cranemec
Explorer
Explorer
I added one to our coach. Ordered it from Amazon, took the doors off of the cabinet, plugged it in and secured with 4 screws.

I don't know why I can't add a picture
2015 American Coach Tradition 42G

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Glad someone posted the link for ElectricFirePlaces direct, I've been shopping one for a basement remodel in our stick house and they have lots to choose from.

Dimplex is the brand Northwood uses and on the NROA forum several have posted favorable comments.

I picked up a unit that included a surround since the size of the firebox will fit in the area of our fifth wheel. I'll scrap the surround, maybe use some for trim, but the biggest thing for us is how much noise the heater makes. We use a portable heater do let the place we are camped pay the heat, but mostly cuz it's so much quieter than the furnace. The fireplace we picked up was at a local store and plugged in so we got to try the sound it makes before buying it. It will be a project this winter when I have a few days to play and make it fit.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
BB_TX wrote:
I installed one in ours even though it was not originally set up for one. Just used a small cabinet opening that we really did not use. Bought one to fit my opening from electricfireplacesdirect.com. They have a lot of different sizes and styles. On mine the "flame" brightness is adjustable or can be turned off completely with the heat still on. And it does have a thermostat. And a remote.

Thanks BB, that's a great selection they have there.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I installed one in ours even though it was not originally set up for one. Just used a small cabinet opening that we really did not use. Bought one to fit my opening from electricfireplacesdirect.com. They have a lot of different sizes and styles. On mine the "flame" brightness is adjustable or can be turned off completely with the heat still on. And it does have a thermostat. And a remote.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Hondavalk wrote:
My fireplace is a Thermoheat and the heater can be run with the flame feature off although we always have it on when using the heater.

Can you tell me what brand or model you have?

Thanks,
Scott

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a greystone in ours and its a piece of junk. First one broke in a week and the replacement has sticky buttons. Otherwise I do like it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I know they're cheasy but the RV we're getting has a place for a "fireplace" and I want to add it after delivery -

"Cheesy" or not that's one of the first mods I'd do with any trailer if I could since we use a 1500 watt ceramic heater as our primary source of heat during the cold weather camping months, augmenting it with the furnace only when necessary. Unfortunately our current trailer just doesn't offer a spot for one of these electric fireplaces but for those that can I can't think of a better mod. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will like it. I know we love ours.
Moose

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
flames have to run on mine but you can turn it way down to a slight glow

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would use the heater quite a bit. Can you run the heater without the flame effect on?
I can only imagine half waking up in the middle of the night and seeing flames wicking up in the living room...

Scott

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
We really like ours. The heater works great for those cool evenings and chilly mornings.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic